Turn on thread page Beta

brother keeps sexualising my body watch

I come from a very religious family, I try to wear baggy, concealing clothes at home but apparently thats not enough for them. I was wearing ali baba trousers today with a thick jumper that stops at my hips today. My whole body was basically concealed. After dinner today, I stood up to pick up the dishes and my brother just exclaimed "Go upstairs and put some clothes on, I could just see your stomach, you're taking it way too far!!" (paraphrased) and both him and my mum proceeded to yell at how inappropraite my clothing is. He also said that my 10 year old brother was there and I shouldnt be wearing that kind of clothing around him. I yelled at him and told him he should go up if he was so offended. They won in the end... and now im eating the remains of my dinner in my bedroom because I refuse to change.

Is this fair considering I'm living in their house? Is my brother unfairly sexualising my body? why is he doing this? I've never seen a man so offended by seeing a tiny bit of a womans stomach...

(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    Ridiculous. My sis walks around naked in front of me, not like there's anything for me to get turned on by cause, well, it's my sibling... so why not?
    seriously?! i can't even wear jeans of any kind and wearing trousers is still sooo tabboo in my house even though im trying so hard to break against those norms.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    seriously?! i can't even wear jeans of any kind and wearing trousers is still sooo tabboo in my house even though im trying so hard to break against those norms.
    Islam?

Islam?
    lol yeah
    I was going to mention that but I thought people might react badly to that so I just "extremely religious"
    but really, islam is the problem.
    I think my brother is so sex starved and so used to seeing womens bodies as private and taboo that even just a slither skin is making it hard for him to control his "desires".

ReputationRep:
    Not being aware of cultural background, I can only comment from a white Christian perspective - so here goes - This does sound a bit over sensitive - but men have hormonal attacks just like us women do and sometimes it comes out as anger - to do with the male warrior, instinct... Also you don't know what other men have said around him. If they have leery he may feel protective of you and he may have confided in your mother about it which accounts for her siding with you

....if he is a bit OTT you may be doing him a favour to cover your stomach just until he gets over it... it isn't for ever.

ReputationRep:
    I get where you're coming from, I have these problems with my parents (I'm 23 this year :lol:). My parents used to be a lot stricter but I kept arguing and arguing and eventually they gave up and now let me wear what I want *to an extent* (i.e. I can't walk around in underwear or show cleavage). I think it's just something you have to stand your ground with.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    lol yeah
    I was going to mention that but I thought people might react badly to that so I just "extremely religious"
    I think my brother is so sex starved and so used to seeing womens bodies as private and taboo that even just a slither skin is making it hard for him to control his "desires".
    Gathered :lol: I mean, I respect that people believe what they want, but I just think it's such a backward religion with outdated rules. Every other religion I know moves with the times, but Islam does not.

my brother told me to stop walking around the house without a bra on because he didn't want to see. i have small tits so i didn't even think there was anything to look at

(Original post by Katherineofsiena)
    Not being aware of cultural background, I can only comment from a white Christian perspective - so here goes - This does sound a bit over sensitive - but men have hormonal attacks just like us women do and sometimes it comes out as anger - to do with the male warrior, instinct... Also you don't know what other men have said around him. If they have leery he may feel protective of you and he may have confided in your mother about it which accounts for her siding with you

....if he is a bit OTT you may be doing him a favour to cover your stomach just until he gets over it... it isn't for ever.
    I doubt it, he doesnt really know the same people i do
    and im forced to wear a hijab and dress when I go out so highly unlikely again

my brother told me to stop walking around the house without a bra on because he didn't want to see. i have small tits so i didn't even think there was anything to look at
    i should clarify i mean, wearing a t shirt without a bra underneath. obviously i don't walk around topless

ReputationRep:
    lol yeah
    no offense,,, but only in Islam would your mother side with your brother :erm: I say this bc I grew up a Muslim though I quit when I was 14 and began reclaiming things when i was 15 (by removing the hijab etc) and i think i can safely say there's nothing like the extent to which Islam influences its followers' outlooks on life, and women and sexuality is one of the things that got dealt the harsh cards.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    lol yeah
    I'm sorry but how is Islam the problem for your brothers issue? my dear sis.

If anything it's the upbringing of your brother nothing to do with Islam. Do not take this personally, but it's the influence of his puberty I think sis.

Don't pin the blame on Islam my dear sis when it has not created but protected one from such issues. The struggles the greatest of mankind has gone through for his nation and we have the audacity to blame Islam for our issue.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Gathered :lol: I mean, I respect that people believe what they want, but I just think it's such a backward religion with outdated rules. Every other religion I know moves with the times, but Islam does not.
    are you real omd
    someone all of a sudden mentions islam and u believe them my goodness
    try not believing everything u read because Islam doesn't even say anything about this
    don't be so naive

ReputationRep:
    lol yeah
    Lol wtf! I'm a Muslim too and I've never had any of this!

as in walking around naked?
    I get that too but I wear clothes lol, if my tits are visible through my top, i usually get slaps or a shouting etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Muslim and my family and I aren't backwards at all! I understand where you're coming from, I just hope you don't think all Muslims are backwards But I agree some are and it's bad!
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Guys, can we please stop jumping on OP for simply expressing their opinion...? This thread isn't for religious debate.

Really sorry this is happening OP, like many others I don't have much more I can offer other than to stand your ground like others have said.

(Original post by MiszshorTea786)
    I'm sorry but how is Islam the problem for your brothers issue? my dear sis.

If anything it's the upbringing of your brother nothing to do with Islam. Do not take this personally, but it's the influence of his puberty I think sis.

Don't pin the blame on Islam my dear sis when it has not created but protected one from such issues. The struggles the greatest of mankind has gone through for his nation and we have the audacity to blame Islam for our issue.

it is Islam
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Outdated rules? Because we are in the 21st century so one automatically neglects the teachings that proceeded beforehand?

Please Mr Woody, I'll tell you now Islam would not be transitioning within today's time. It is in the year 1439 currently and so be it.

If you are not living the religion why have an issue?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    as in walking around naked?
    I get that too but I wear clothes lol, if my tits are visible through my top, i usually get slaps or a shouting etc.
    Wow I feel so sorry for you- that's CRAZY! It's not like you're walking around naked!
    Ppl are acc taking the bait and thinking islam says don't wear jeans in the house :rofl: :rofl:
    Plz learn to distinguish between culture and religion before making urself look ignorant
    Exactly!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.