The Student Room Group

brother keeps sexualising my body

Scroll to see replies

Cut the spam out and the off topic chit chat, also this part of TSR is not a debate, posts will be removed if the above continues.
Original post by Anonymous
and when it is being imposed on you by your family

It should NEVER be imposed on you! You can still not wear a hijab and be a good Muslim! You should only wear it if YOU have the intention. It's very wrong to force anyone... OP I acc feel v sorry for you that you have a family like this.
lol yeah :biggrin:
I was going to mention that but I thought people might react badly to that so I just "extremely religious"
but really, islam is the problem.
I think my brother is so sex starved and so used to seeing womens bodies as private and taboo that even just a slither skin is making it hard for him to control his "desires".

OK so from a muslim perspective in order to give your brother the benefit of the most charitable motives he probably is very protective. When I lived in Leicester, I had a muslim friend who went to a nightclub in Loughborough and she was anxious just in case someone recognised her and considered her dress inappropriate. She worried about honour killing.

Is there also a faith issue that you can sympathise with? - so for example is it a Muslim man's duty to protect or assert authority over women? If that is the case he will be at his most zealous from about the age of 18-25 - that is usually the case no matter what religion or in my case atheist. Frankly you may be able to help him through this phase of his life (it's going take lots of restraint and patience from your side and I certainly don't envy you!) Perhaps between you and your mother you can persuade him that inside the home there is no need to be so vigilant because whatever it is that he is afraid of cannot attack you there....
and when it is being imposed on you by your family

Sorry if I missed something but are you still Muslim.
I come from a very religious family, I try to wear baggy, concealing clothes at home but apparently thats not enough for them. I was wearing ali baba trousers today with a thick jumper that stops at my hips today. My whole body was basically concealed. After dinner today, I stood up to pick up the dishes and my brother just exclaimed "Go upstairs and put some clothes on, I could just see your stomach, you're taking it way too far!!" (paraphrased) and both him and my mum proceeded to yell at how inappropraite my clothing is. He also said that my 10 year old brother was there and I shouldnt be wearing that kind of clothing around him. I yelled at him and told him he should go up if he was so offended. They won in the end... and now im eating the remains of my dinner in my bedroom because I refuse to change.

Is this fair considering I'm living in their house? Is my brother unfairly sexualising my body? why is he doing this? I've never seen a man so offended by seeing a tiny bit of a womans stomach...

Sorry but your brother's a weirdo. The problem isn't the religion or you wearing whatnot, the problem is your family over sexualising over nothing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending