Turn on thread page Beta

wide angle photography watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing portraits and cosplay stuff as a hobby for a little while now and have been wanting to get into event photography, which would involve getting larger groups of people into the frame.

I've been using a Nikon D3000 with a 50mm for the most part and have been looking to pick up a wide angle lense.

Due to my lack of money I've been looking for a good balance between quality and price and have come across the "Nikon AF-S 35mm F1.8 G DX" for £120

Is this a good choice? Is there a better option? Let me know and cheers in advanced
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardBarfield9)
    I've been doing portraits and cosplay stuff as a hobby for a little while now and have been wanting to get into event photography, which would involve getting larger groups of people into the frame.

I've been using a Nikon D3000 with a 50mm for the most part and have been looking to pick up a wide angle lense.

Due to my lack of money I've been looking for a good balance between quality and price and have come across the "Nikon AF-S 35mm F1.8 G DX" for £120

Is this a good choice? Is there a better option? Let me know and cheers in advanced
    35mm isn't really considered wide angle on a APS-C sensor body, since you have to take crop factor into account. If you know what to expect from a 35mm lens then yeah, this lens is a good choice on a strict budget, but I'd personally be looking for something wider and more versatile to better complement your 50mm prime.

If it was me, I'd be looking at the 17-50mm f/2.8 lenses from Sigma and Tamron, you can normally find a couple of different models for around £150 used on sites like ebay and MPB. You still get the wide aperture but you're getting proper wide angle coverage.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.