Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    EDIT : I managed to get there in the end. But I'll leave this question up anyway if others want to try.

The quadratic equation x^2-5x+7=0 has roots \alpha and \beta. Find the quadratic equation with integer coefficents that has roots \alpha^3 and \beta^3.

So I'm aware of how to use Vieta's formulas to solve this easily. I also know the substitution method for questions like this although I wouldn't consider it for this question because I know that the algebra isn't nice.

I saw a markscheme today that mentioned the substitution method as an alternate approach (but didn't show the working) so I'm wondering if there's a simple way of doing this particular question using substitution that I'm missing? After substituting x=u^{\frac{1}{3}} it leads to

u^{\frac{2}{3}} - 5u^{\frac{1}{3}}+7=0

But I can't get from here to a quadratic by algebraic manipulation.

ReputationRep:
    Sum of roots = + . =(a+b)(a^2-ab+b^2)=(a+b)[(a+b)^2 - 3ab] = 20
    Product of roots = 7^3 = 343
    --> x^2 - 20x + 343=0.

Did you want it done using that specific u=x^1/3 method?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    Sum of roots = + . =(a+b)(a^2-ab+y^2)=(a+b)[(a+b)^2 - 3ab] = 20
    Product of roots = 7^3 = 343
    --> x^2 - 20x + 343=0.

Did you want it done using that specific u=x^1/3 method?
    Yes as mentioned in my OP I was asking about the substitution method. I managed to get there in the end but it's still worth having a go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Yes as mentioned in my OP I was asking about the substitution method. I managed to get there in the end but it's still worth having a go
    Ah - that's a lot harder?

How would that go about using u=x^1/3?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bit late so I can't be bothered to look at it further, but the quickest I found is to say:

u^{1/3}(u^{1/3}-5)=-7 \Leftrightarrow u(u-15u^{2/3}+75u^{1/3}-125) = -343
    (cube both sides and just use the expansion (u+1)^3 = u^3+3u^2+3u+1)

Then note that -15^{2/3} + 75 u^{1/3} = -15u^{1/3}(u^{1/3}-5) = -15(-7) = 105 so the expansion just simplifies down to u(u-20)=-343 hence u^2-20u+343=0

ReputationRep:
    EDIT : I managed to get there in the end. But I'll leave this question up anyway if others want to try.

The quadratic equation x^2-5x+7=0 has roots \alpha and \beta. Find the quadratic equation with integer coefficents that has roots \alpha^3 and \beta^3.

So I'm aware of how to use Vieta's formulas to solve this easily. I also know the substitution method for questions like this although I wouldn't consider it for this question because I know that the algebra isn't nice.

I saw a markscheme today that mentioned the substitution method as an alternate approach (but didn't show the working) so I'm wondering if there's a simple way of doing this particular question using substitution that I'm missing? After substituting u=x^{\frac{1}{3}} it leads to

u^{\frac{2}{3}} - 5u^{\frac{1}{3}}+7=0

But I can't get from here to a quadratic by algebraic manipulation.
    Spoiler:
    Show

u^{\frac{2}{3}}-5u^{\frac{1}{3}}+7=0

u^{\frac{1}{3}}(u^{\frac{1}{3}}-5)=-7

u(u-15u^{\frac{2}{3}}+75u^{\frac{1}{  3}}-125)=-343

u(u-15(u^{\frac{2}{3}}-5u^{\frac{1}{3}}+7)-20)=-343

u^2-20u+343=0

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BuryMathsTutor)
    Spoiler:
    Show

u^{\frac{2}{3}}-5u^{\frac{1}{3}}+7=0

u^{\frac{1}{3}}(u^{\frac{1}{3}}-5)=-7

u(u-15u^{\frac{2}{3}}+75u^{\frac{1}{  3}}-125)=-343

u(u-15(u^{\frac{2}{3}}-5u^{\frac{1}{3}}+7)-20)=-343

u^2-20u+343=0

This is the way I did it. I made a slip in my working so gave up on this approach initially which is why I created the thread. But I saw the mistake straight after posting.

I'd be interested to know how many students used this method for this exam question.

ReputationRep:
    u=x^{\frac{1}{3}}
    Did you mean u=x^3 ?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by I hate maths)
    Did you mean u=x^3 ?
    Yes. I meant to post x=u^{\frac{1}{3}}.

ReputationRep:
    This is the way I did it. I made a slip in my working so gave up on this approach initially which is why I created the thread. But I saw the mistake straight after posting.

I'd be interested to know how many students used this method for this exam question.
    Where is the question from?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BuryMathsTutor)
    Where is the question from?
    OCR FP1 Jan 2008 Q9

Part i makes it even less likely that students would have used the substitution method. It's not mentioned in the examiners report.

ReputationRep:
    OCR FP1 Jan 2008 Q9

Part i makes it even less likely that students would have used the substitution method. It's not mentioned in the examiners report.
    Just a few then perhaps. We will never know.

ReputationRep:
    OCR FP1 Jan 2008 Q9

Given part (i), I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a single correct solution using the substitution method. (Because you'd need to be either pretty clueless, or feeling particularly perverse, to do so).

Giving 6 marks for (ii) seems pretty generous, also?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Given part (i), I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a single correct solution using the substitution method. (Because you'd need to be either pretty clueless, or feeling particularly perverse, to do so).

Giving 6 marks for (ii) seems pretty generous, also?
    I also wouldn't be surprised but I think there were probably some who attempted substitution. I've got a feeling there are some students who would think "Substitution always seems faster so I'll do it here". Hopefully these students switched to the Vieta's formula method once they realised the algebra was hard!

6 marks does seem generous since i) has already been done.

ReputationRep:
    I also wouldn't be surprised but I think there were probably some who attempted substitution.
    I'm sure there were some who *attempted* it, yes. But to think substitution is the way to go here, you'd need to be obvious to the fact that you've already done most of the work in (i). And if you were oblivious to that, I think it very unlikely you'd have the ability to work through the fairly gnarly substitution algebra.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.