Turn on thread page Beta

Quitting my apprenticeship watch

Ive just finished my level 2 childcare and about to start my level 3. I have days we’re i enjoy it, and I don’t know if it the people I work with because it seems coincidentaly that I also have certain days we’re I hate it. I love working with kids but it’s not what I want to do with my life. Before I sign up for my level 3 I just wanted some advice. In my contact it says that if I’m to quit before finishing then I would need to pay back a certain % of training costs. Would I have to if I quit now before signing for my level 3? I’m not a very confident person so wouldn’t know how to bring it up to my manager that I want to leave, id HATE to let her know that I’m not enjoying it, but also I don’t want to be stuck doin this for another 18 months or so. I was looking on starting a college course in September. Any advice on what to do? Have you ever been in this situation?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ive just finished my level 2 childcare and about to start my level 3. I have days we’re i enjoy it, and I don’t know if it the people I work with because it seems coincidentaly that I also have certain days we’re I hate it. I love working with kids but it’s not what I want to do with my life. Before I sign up for my level 3 I just wanted some advice. In my contact it says that if I’m to quit before finishing then I would need to pay back a certain % of training costs. Would I have to if I quit now before signing for my level 3? I’m not a very confident person so wouldn’t know how to bring it up to my manager that I want to leave, id HATE to let her know that I’m not enjoying it, but also I don’t want to be stuck doin this for another 18 months or so. I was looking on starting a college course in September. Any advice on what to do? Have you ever been in this situation?
    Direct your training provider and employer to section 52.4

not be asked to contribute financially to the direct cost of learning or assessment
    (this includes where an apprentice leaves their programme early - you must not
    claim training or assessment costs back from ex-apprentices)

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...S_V2_FINAL.pdf

ReputationRep:
    If you’re not enjoying it then definitely start a college course in September-theres no point wasting time training to do something you don’t want to do, especially if you don’t enjoy it. I would definitely look at other courses and find another opportunity that you’d like and be interested in pursuing further. Hope everything works out for you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    As Tubbz has mentioned, refer them to that clause. But make sure it is the right decision for you. Really put down and work through the pros and cons of each option and if that makes it no clearer, always look at what your head and heart are telling you.

From what you've said, I don't think you'd enjoy another year and I think you've made that clear in your mind, but at the same time, if the level of your scheme increases will that bring additional responsibilities which might make it more interesting/varied/enjoyable? It may not, but it may be something to consider.

I'm an apprentice - different industry - but if you need a hand with anything just give me a shout

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.