ReputationRep:
    yea

ReputationRep:
    Me!

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Yes to both.

Although any Smiths fan should also be a Stone Roses fan and vice versa as far as I'm concerned as they're two sides of the same Manchester coin.

I mainly know The Smiths singles and a few solo songs by Morrissey whereas I know far more about The Beatles.

The Beatles had 4 members:

John Lennon who regarded himself as a rocker but whose work covered all sorts, except for the musical hall style that McCartney could sometimes excel at.
    Lennon was both no nonsense and dream-like, abstract yet realist.

Paul McCartney was more of a 'storyteller', a musical hall man, and perhaps a Brian Wilson fan, than John and George's pure concept songs. McCartney also seemed to have some more folklore influences e.g. he composed most of We Can Work It Out, which sounds like something from Russia or something. McCartney also did cod-Jamaican like Ob La De Ob La Da. Sometimes his range made him seem like a musical magpie perhaps but he is the Beatle who was most openly committed to being a Beatle, so much so that he even extended the Beatles's heritage, at a cost to his own standing compared to Lennon, by actively wanting to turn some John Lennon demos in to Beatles songs. Paul, whilst loving the 50s black musicians, arguably wasn't as explictly an American 60s white country rock fan as Lennon and George sometimes seemed to be. Paul's country rock was music hall stuff like Rocky Raccoon- or very English stuff like Blackbird and Mother Natures Son.

George Harrison, for my money, was essentially a comglomerate of part of Lennon and part of McCartney mixed in with a bit of Byrds. This made him a very
    interesting addition to The Beatles, almost an indefinable, accidental, connection between Lennon and McCartney that might have otherwise remained a gap.

ReputationRep:
    This happened once before
    When I came to your door
    No reply
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Yes to both.

Although any Smiths fan should also be a Stone Roses fan and vice versa as far as I'm concerned as they're two sides of the same Manchester coin.

I mainly know The Smiths singles and a few solo songs by Morrissey whereas I know far more about The Beatles.

The Beatles had 4 members:

John Lennon who regarded himself as a rocker but whose work covered all sorts, except for the musical hall style that McCartney could sometimes excel at.
    Lennon was both no nonsense and dream-like, abstract yet realist.

Paul McCartney was more of a 'storyteller', a musical hall man, and perhaps a Brian Wilson fan, than John and George's pure concept songs. McCartney also seemed to have some more folklore influences e.g. he composed most of We Can Work It Out, which sounds like something from Russia or something. McCartney also did cod-Jamaican like Ob La De Ob La Da. Sometimes his range made him seem like a musical magpie perhaps but he is the Beatle who was most openly committed to being a Beatle, so much so that he even extended the Beatles's heritage, at a cost to his own standing compared to Lennon, by actively wanting to turn some John Lennon demos in to Beatles songs. Paul, whilst loving the 50s black musicians, arguably wasn't as explictly an American 60s white country rock fan as Lennon and George sometimes seemed to be. Paul's country rock was music hall stuff like Rocky Raccoon- or very English stuff like Blackbird and Mother Natures Son.

George Harrison, for my money, was essentially a comglomerate of part of Lennon and part of McCartney mixed in with a bit of Byrds. This made him a very
    interesting addition to The Beatles, almost an indefinable, accidental, connection between Lennon and McCartney that might have otherwise remained a gap.
    the only song of stone roses, beetles or smiths I like is the instrumental version of begging you and that is because it was the BBC's theme for Moto GP
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, I listen to the smiths daily, they are my favourite band of all time, without question. They have the most perfect library of songs. Every single one is great (apart from golden lights cover).

Also a fan of the beatles. Favourite song is here comes the Sun. I used to listen to them daily as well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.