Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I recently decided to pursue a transfer of university for economics. I recieved a reply from the chosen university saying they will allow an application for a transfer into 2nd year, now I just need to write my PS and have a reference.

My questions is, in my P.S. should I include any recent coursework and exam marks I recieved to help strengthen it up? I'm not sure if my reference will include the marks so I dont want to repeat myself.

Also in the event that university staff are unable to give a reference, do you think having my a level teacher being a reference will harm my chances? Have there ever been people who failed to transfer due to this?
    Thank you!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PrinceAli)
    Hello!

I recently decided to pursue a transfer of university for economics. I recieved a reply from the chosen university saying they will allow an application for a transfer into 2nd year, now I just need to write my PS and have a reference.

My questions is, in my P.S. should I include any recent coursework and exam marks I recieved to help strengthen it up? I'm not sure if my reference will include the marks so I dont want to repeat myself.

Also in the event that university staff are unable to give a reference, do you think having my a level teacher being a reference will harm my chances? Have there ever been people who failed to transfer due to this?
    Thank you!
    Its possible to do it with or without uni knowing although a transfer to year 2 can require a reference and a transcript.

Go and see your tutor and explain in a non burning bridges sort of way youve decided to transfer. Its basically a new UCAS application so your Uni marks go on there and not in your ps. You can discuss with your referee what they will say. If they feel they cant write you a reference, then consider alternatives. Check with the uni that your A level teacher will do.

Your PS should make comment on your continued development and discuss your current course in a positive way. You can get your PS reviewed on TSR by one of the PS reviewers.

If your new uni accepts transfers, then it is important you understand their policy and then tailor your app to match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Its possible to do it with or without uni knowing although a transfer to year 2 can require a reference and a transcript.

Go and see your tutor and explain in a non burning bridges sort of way youve decided to transfer. Its basically a new UCAS application so your Uni marks go on there and not in your ps. You can discuss with your referee what they will say. If they feel they cant write you a reference, then consider alternatives. Check with the uni that your A level teacher will do.

Your PS should make comment on your continued development and discuss your current course in a positive way. You can get your PS reviewed on TSR by one of the PS reviewers.

If your new uni accepts transfers, then it is important you understand their policy and then tailor your app to match.
    Thank you! I emailed my personal tutor explaining I wanted to transfer and I would be grateful if she was a reference.

I got a reply stating that I should talk to the programme leader. Is this normal? She essentially ignored where I asked if she could be a reference.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thank you! I emailed my personal tutor explaining I wanted to transfer and I would be grateful if she was a reference.

I got a reply stating that I should talk to the programme leader. Is this normal? She essentially ignored where I asked if she could be a reference.
    Youd have been wiser to o and see them in person to explain things.
    You should see if you can catch the program and be ready with your explanation as to why you wish to leave. They may ask you to stay.

They cant prevent you from leaving, but they may or may not be helpful with a reference. In the event they wont provide one or it isnt much good, then you can consider asking your previous referee or someone else.

I think it's better to explain in person rather than a brief e-mail which can be easily ignored . If you get stuck then go and see an advisor at student services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Youd have been wiser to o and see them in person to explain things.
    You should see if you can catch the program and be ready with your explanation as to why you wish to leave. They may ask you to stay.

They cant prevent you from leaving, but they may or may not be helpful with a reference. In the event they wont provide one or it isnt much good, then you can consider asking your previous referee or someone else.

I think it's better to explain in person rather than a brief e-mail which can be easily ignored . If you get stuck then go and see an advisor at student services.

Thank you very much for your help! I've booked a meeting with my personal tutor to discuss this further.

Just one last question, in the event that my A level teacher becomes a reference should I then put my exam results in my personal statement since my a level teacher wont have access to them?

Cheers!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thank you very much for your help! I've booked a meeting with my personal tutor to discuss this further.

Just one last question, in the event that my A level teacher becomes a reference should I then put my exam results in my personal statement since my a level teacher wont have access to them?

Cheers!
    Your new degree results would go down because hopefully they are goo plus UCAS want a complete record.
    You can talk to your referee about why you have chosen to transfer and they can know your results, so they write the new reference in context.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.