Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

So yeah, I'm being sent to Liverpool for work and being put up in a hotel right in the city centre for the week. I've never been to Liverpool before so I figured I'd see if TSR has any recommendations for what there is to see, do and eat. Inexpensive independent places to get some decent food are particularly appreciated (bonus points for burger joints), as are any cool bars to hang out in after work that don't want to charge you £17 for a cocktail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phillip Banks)
    I have lived in Liverpool for 19 years. The museums and galleries near St.George's park are brilliant. I went just before I started uni and some exhibitions were closed but they should be open now. The admissions are free and the cafe on the top floor near the space expedition does nice coffees.

Gourmet burger is pretty good, it is on the back side of L1 next to Chavasse Park. I have heard Fazenda Liverpool is brilliant, it is like an all you can eat Brazilian restaurant near Chapel street.

My personal favorite place/attraction is the Albert dock and the Maritime Museum. Just don't buy drinks from the Albert Dock, they are stupidly expensive.

I can literally reel off so much stuff, I know L1 inside and out. If you need any more stuff, just PM me.
    Thanks for the suggestions :yy: Happy for suggestions of pretty much anything that's worth doing after 6pm, since I'll be training 9-5 every day!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go to Almost Famous for a burger (small chain but if you're in Liverpool you might as well).
    If you like Indian food then Mowgli is a popular place to go.
    Bakchich has really nice cheap Lebanese food.
    'Some Place' on Seel St is a cool place for drinks. Not easy to find, but it's next to The Peacock and has a lamp above the door.
    The Shipping Forecast and Leaf are pretty chilled.
    The Pilgrim is a cool pub to go to, always got a good atmosphere and easy to meet people.
    Cafe Tabac isn't anything special but always loved it there for some reason, probably because of the red lighting.

So many places in Liverpool but I don't live there anymore so it's a bit difficult to think off the top of my head.
    The 3 areas to focus on though are Ropewalks, the Baltic Triangle and the Georgian Quarter. Those have the best restaurants and pubs so just have a little walk around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Thanks for the suggestions :yy: Happy for suggestions of pretty much anything that's worth doing after 6pm, since I'll be training 9-5 every day!
    If you are like held up in L1, the nightlife should be great. The city gets shadier the later and the further you go away from the inner city area. Most of the inner city bars are geared towards undergrads from all then local unis. The drinks are dirt cheap, the further you venture out, the more expensive it gets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phillip Banks)
    If you are like held up in L1, the nightlife should be great. The city gets shadier the later and the further you go away from the inner city area. Most of the inner city bars are geared towards undergrads from all then local unis. The drinks are dirt cheap, the further you venture out, the more expensive it gets.
    Yeah I'm right on the river near the exhibition centre. Good to hear about the cheap booze :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you are in a pretty good area. I think that is near the Baltic Triangle. Should be lots of places right on your doorstep. Plus if you are lucky, you will have decent river views.

ReputationRep:
    There's a Five Guys if that's your thing. Mowgli on Bold St is great for Indian street food and there's loads of decent boozers up that end. If you like proper pubs doing great ales look up the Caledonia, Roscoe Head, Dispensary, Dr Duncan's, Ship & Mitre (awesome), Baltic Fleet, the Grapes off Hope St (one of the best boozers in town). Ye Cracke is just off Hope St and that's class, too. John Lennon's old boozer. Fly in the Loaf is ok. The Swan is boss if you have a thick skin and like rock music. Pete Kavanaghs is brilliant.

There's shitloads. Honestly, you could do worse than just having a wander and seeing where you end up.

ReputationRep:
    Honourable mention to the Belvedere!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely recommend Baltic Market - lots of different food and drink vendors and really popular.

Also, back up the other recommendations for Mowgli. A little bit further past the three graces towards the docks is the Tai Pan chinese restaurant.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.