The Student Room Group

Krakow, Kotor or Lisbon?

I love to travel and am fortunate enough to have done a LOT of it. I'm trying to plan my next trip and have came up with the 3 cities in the title.

For anyone that's been to any of them - Which out of the 3 is your favourite? I have to say at the moment it's probably a toss up between Kotor and Krakow with Lisbon my third favourite out of the 3.

What I like:
- Well priced (flights and cheap when actually there)
- Lots to do as I get bored easily
- Everything within close proximity
- Pretty and visually attractive
- I don't like big skyscrapers and too much of a modern commercial city (eg not places like London)
- A nice balance of city and country/nature
I live near Lisbon, and I've been to Krakow, so hopefully I can help you a bit.

In Lisbon, you of course have all of these cultural spots to visit both within Lisbon, and slightly further out in Belem, for example. Lisbon is really good for just walking around and exploring, and then Belem has a lot of museums and attractions to visit (and pasteis de nata!). If you like nature then Lisbon has beaches along the coast. The better beaches can be found slightly further away but you can take a simple train to get to places like Cascais, or you can go across the bridge to a place called Costa de Caparica which is really nice and has some great restaurants. Near Lisbon there's also Sintra, so if you like hiking and visiting palaces and foresty areas, then this would be a good place to visit. Lisbon has virtually no skyscrapers, everything is pretty 'old' and some buildings still have the really nice tilings on them. I wouldn't say Lisbon is the most attractive city (by no means is it ugly though), but it does have some pretty places to visit. There's also a forest called Monsanto (I've never been there but apparently it has some good bike trails and stuff like that). Basically, to conclude, Lisbon is really easy to visit and its easy to walk around and see a lot of more cultural things. There are also a lot of nice areas that are a bit farther out, but if you don't mind taking a train for like half an hour then it's fine.

Now for Krakow, I was only there for a very short amount of time last year (one day to be exact), but it was a beautiful city! There are a lot of cool restaurants from what I can remember. As for places to visit there's obviously the concentration camps and museums, so I don't know if you'd be interested in that. Unfortunately I was only there for a day so I can't say much about the countryside and activities to do, but it definitely was really beautiful (and had no skyscrapers), even in the rain!

I would say Krakow is definitely worth taking a trip to if you only have a few days or something, but at the same time I say this without knowing much about the attractions and places to visit. Lisbon is also a great place to go to as well though.

Hope I helped!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by juliette.vo
I live near Lisbon, and I've been to Krakow, so hopefully I can help you a bit.

In Lisbon, you of course have all of these cultural spots to visit both within Lisbon, and slightly further out in Belem, for example. Lisbon is really good for just walking around and exploring, and then Belem has a lot of museums and attractions to visit (and pasteis de nata!). If you like nature then Lisbon has beaches along the coast. The better beaches can be found slightly further away but you can take a simple train to get to places like Cascais, or you can go across the bridge to a place called Costa de Caparica which is really nice and has some great restaurants. Near Lisbon there's also Sintra, so if you like hiking and visiting palaces and foresty areas, then this would be a good place to visit. Lisbon has virtually no skyscrapers, everything is pretty 'old' and some buildings still have the really nice tilings on them. I wouldn't say Lisbon is the most attractive city (by no means is it ugly though), but it does have some pretty places to visit. There's also a forest called Monsanto (I've never been there but apparently it has some good bike trails and stuff like that). Basically, to conclude, Lisbon is really easy to visit and its easy to walk around and see a lot of more cultural things. There are also a lot of nice areas that are a bit farther out, but if you don't mind taking a train for like half an hour then it's fine.

Now for Krakow, I was only there for a very short amount of time last year (one day to be exact), but it was a beautiful city! There are a lot of cool restaurants from what I can remember. As for places to visit there's obviously the concentration camps and museums, so I don't know if you'd be interested in that. Unfortunately I was only there for a day so I can't say much about the countryside and activities to do, but it definitely was really beautiful (and had no skyscrapers), even in the rain!

I would say Krakow is definitely worth taking a trip to if you only have a few days or something, but at the same time I say this without knowing much about the attractions and places to visit. Lisbon is also a great place to go to as well though.

Hope I helped!

Thanks very much.have you been to Kotor in Montenegro or know much about the place?
Reply 3
Lisbon is one of my favourite cities, it's beautiful. Will deffo return. I also really liked Krakow when i was there during an interrail trip.
Dont g Kraków it’s boring
Original post by Computerslife
Dont g Kraków it’s boring

Why do you say that? Please could you go into more detail? Is that where you are from?

Quick Reply

Latest