Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am depressed and not motivated to do anything. Please help! :( watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    It’s not that the pills give you motivation. It’s that they give you the serotonin / dopamine you’re lacking, which in turn gives you the strength to motivate yourself. It’s a chemical imbalance - Nothing at all to be ashamed of. x
    Yeah true. I guess I'm just afraid of going to a doctor for some strange reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craigish)
    Well, I know exactly what that is like and, trust me, I really don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong. It's easy in today's world to think you've got a serious problem if you aren't livin' it up every second of the day and you don't have a care in the world.

Not to undermine the suggestions of others, visiting your GP isn't a bad idea, and I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but what I'm trying to say is don't panic just because things aren't great or even normal.

The job and girl thing, don't underestimate what that can do. It can make you feel pretty *****y.

Are you happy with your course at college?
    Haha especially the girl part and knowing she doesn't like u back... That has ****ed my mind up completely the past 10 months, it has caused me to be depressed, suicidal (I was just out of surgery at the time tho), and have nightmares before I'm even asleep...

The course is ok, not really doing too much of what I love (which is coding). But atleast it gets me to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocCheesecake)
    That’s understandable.

The Samaritans have a bunch of branchs around England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales (https://www.samaritans.org/branches) where you can talk to people face to face.
    But won't ppl be able to overhear ur problems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryanthom100)
    But won't ppl be able to overhear ur problems?
    No idea, I’ve never been. Although, from what I can see, many of the branches are pretty small so it’s likely that there won’t be that many people there. Also, I’m sure that all the people there will be extremely non-judgemental about anything that they may overhear. After all, they’ll either be going through their own problems or they’ll be one of the trained volunteers.

All the branches have a phone number that you can ring if you wanted some advice on the best time to go.

Another option is their email address; apparently they normally respond in under 24 hours.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocCheesecake)
    No idea, I’ve never been. Although, from what I can see, many of the branches are pretty small so it’s likely that there won’t be that many people there. Also, I’m sure that all the people there will be extremely non-judgemental about anything that they may overhear. After all, they’ll either be going through their own problems or they’ll be one of the trained volunteers.

All the branches have a phone number that you can ring if you wanted some advice on the best time to go.

Another option is their email address; apparently they normally respond in under 24 hours.
    Hmm I may look into that, thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I may look into that, thanks for the advice
    No problem. Glad I could help!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Hey RT,

Im sorry to hear you are going through that, but how long has this been going on for? Was it random or has it always been like that but with a reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
    Hey RT,

Im sorry to hear you are going through that, but how long has this been going on for? Was it random or has it always been like that but with a reason?
    Meh its been going on for a month, but been on and off for 10 months. I have reasons that have built up to this but i'm just slowly trying to push through till my mind feels healthier.

ReputationRep:
    Meh its been going on for a month, but been on and off for 10 months. I have reasons that have built up to this but i'm just slowly trying to push through till my mind feels healthier.
    But you seem like a really nice guy though, life is a b****
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by tiarichards16)
    I dont think shes a guy

ReputationRep:
    I dont think shes a guy
    I checked the profile to make sure but if I'm wrong then I'm going to climb into my bed and die of shame and embarrassment
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    I 100% think you can do it, yh its gonna take time, but if you are willing to be healthy mentally, the time wont be a issue. Everyone has their reasons or issues to why they are the way they are, but it wont change if it doesnt all start from you xx
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    I checked the profile to make sure but if I'm wrong then I'm going to climb into my bed and die of shame and embarrassment
    Lol tbh Im not sure myself

ReputationRep:
    Lol tbh Im not sure myself
    Here is a screenshot of Ryanthom100`s account and I'm pretty sure that they are male lol
    Name:  Screenshot.png
Views: 29
Size:  45.3 KB
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Here is a screenshot of Ryanthom100`s account and I'm pretty sure that they are male lol
    Name:  Screenshot.png
Views: 29
Size:  45.3 KB
    Lol my bad, I thought OP was a girl, seems like you don't have to hide in bed

ReputationRep:
    Lol my bad, I thought OP was a girl, seems like you don't have to hide in bed
    Might do that anyway coz its freezing cold lol :dance:My little brothers thinks that they are sleeping my bed, they can sod of:hmmm:
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Might do that anyway coz its freezing cold lol :dance:My little brothers thinks that they are sleeping my bed, they can sod of:hmmm:
    If you live in the UK, then yh i understand lol
    Wow having younger siblings must be annoying. I have a 8 year old sister, so I can in a way relate

ReputationRep:
    If you live in the UK, then yh i understand lol
    Wow having younger siblings must be annoying. I have a 8 year old sister, so I can in a way relate
    Yeah I have 2 younger brothers: Hudson who is 7 years old and Lawson who is 4 years old

Also I have an older brother Dane who is 17 years old

ReputationRep:
    I've been through this kind of thing so many times that I've lost count. I get it a lot this time of year as well because it's just cold and dark all the time, and most people seem to be miserable generally. I've never taken antidepressants - I sort of feel that those are more of a sticking plaster for the problem than a cure. Kind of like a last-resort if you need to get your mind straight before exam week or something like that. I know some people who have ended up taking antidepressants for years, and kinda feel like those people are worse off as a result.

Are you drinking enough water? What kinds of foods are you eating? Sometimes you just need to go on a strict healthy diet for a week or so and just let your body have a week where it's getting all the nutrition it needs while not dealing with sugar or any other junk food. Spend a few days just filling your plate up with veg (especially greens - try spinach if you don't normally like greens, that usually goes with almost anything. Spinach has loads of folic acid, so if you're deficient in this, that might be why you're feeling down)

How much time are you spending outdoors? If you're stuck inside all the time, especially if all you're doing indoors is staring at various different screens (Phone, laptop, TV), that'll usually make you feel down. To be honest, I think spending too much time reading all the crap people post online and social media ends up being pretty depressing. Go outside and do something. Try to do some cardio exercise as well. Spending 30 miniutes running or just about any other kind of high-intensity cardio for 30 minutes is great for releasing endorphins. It probably should go without saying that a healthy body helps keep a healthy mind

How are you sleeping? are you actually getting proper restful sleep? Are you consuming loads of caffeiene and staying awake or waking up in the middle of the night?

Also, if you're just wound up and stressed or anxious then try meditating to some relaxing music for 20 minutes just to clear your head for a while. That kind of thing is pretty calming - sitting in silence just focused on your breathing and trying to empty your head of all the stuff which you normally can't switch off might make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is , I feel that this world doesn't help, the only way you will get better is by picking yourself up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.