Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help me with this simple maths calculation, I don't know how to do it! watch

ReputationRep:
    Its been quite a while since I was at school so can't work this out. Anyway if I can sprint 50metres in 7.1 seconds, assuming I maintain the same speed, how many seconds will I be able to run 60m in?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It all centres around the following formula: v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance and t is the time.

You know two of these values to start with, so you can work out the velocity:

v = 50/7.1 = 7.0422...

So v = 7.0422...

Now, rearrange the equation at the top in terms of time, t = d/v. Now substitute in the known value of distance and the value just worked out for the velocity:

t = 60/7.0422... = 8.52

Thus you can run 60 metres in 8.52 seconds.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    Its been quite a while since I was at school so can't work this out. Anyway if I can sprint 50metres in 7.1 seconds, assuming I maintain the same speed, how many seconds will I be able to run 60m in?

Thanks
    Ok, so you know the distance and the time for the original distance. From this you can work out the speed (since speed=distance divided by time)
    Once you have the speed, you can then work out the new time with the new distance with time=distance/speed
    Let me know if you're still stuck
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So, you know Speed = Distance / Time?

Open spoiler for full answer:

Spoiler:
    Show

So if Speed = Distance / Time

Speed = 50/7.1 = 7.04 m/s

So, we now know the speed. So we'll re-arrange "Speed = Distance / Time", to become Time = Distance / Speed:

Time = 60/7.04 = 8.52 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Ok, so you know the distance and the time for the original distance. From this you can work out the speed (since speed=distance divided by time)
    Once you have the speed, you can then work out the new time with the new distance with time=distance/speed
    Let me know if you're still stuck
    Ok thanks, some people have kindly told me the answer. I swear I used to be able to do these calculation!

Thanks guys.. now add in 5 hurdles to the calculation as Ive been put in a 60m hurdle race as well No one else will do it and apparantly you get a point even if you come last. Of course last will be an achievement for me Im just hoping to clear them. Well at least Ive got a time for the 60m flat even if its a bad one
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    Ok thanks, some people have kindly told me the answer. I swear I used to be able to do these calculation!

Thanks guys.. now add in 5 hurdles to the calculation as Ive been put in a 60m hurdle race as well No one else will do it and apparantly you get a point even if you come last. Of course last will be an achievement for me Im just hoping to clear them. Well at least Ive got a time for the 60m flat even if its a bad one
    I'm sure you'll do great! I could never hit anything like those times...Hurdles will slow everyone down, just concentrate on getting over them rather than the speed

ReputationRep:
    You don’t need to know any formulas for this question:

All you need to know is that:
    7.1 seconds = 50 metres
    Divide both sides by 5 to see how quickly you can run 10 metres, then multiply both sides by 6 since you want 60 metres. This is the most basic way to do without any formulas. You are left with 8.52
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.