Turn on thread page Beta

I have been withdrawn from my course watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I’m desperately hoping someone can give me advice.

So, to keep this as short as possible, I have been withdrawn from my course due to lack of attendance.

I have lived with my other half for nearly 5 years now. In 2016 his mother unfortunately and unexpectedly passed away. This meant we had to move homes and have been bouncing around since, however it is our duty to care for his elderly grandmother. His aunt, whom his grandmother lives with was forced to go back to work due to funds running short. She has to leave at 5am every morning in order to get to work. Towards the end of last year his grand mother’s health deteriorated and her dementia was progressionally worsening. When his aunt left the house she would fall of of her bed etc. So myself and my partner had to take turns throughout the week to go there in the mornings or stay over to make sure she would be okay until the carers arrived (always very late so most days I was unable to make
    It in on time). Since then she has worsened so much that she is unable to walk/talk/eat.
    (not a sob story just explaining my current situation)

So.. I have had 2 meetings, first one was very brief but I told them about my problems. Last meeting was last week and I informed them that I have officially moved in to my mums in order to take my education seriously and focus on this solely (which I have). Today I recieved my withdrawal from course notice and I can only say that I’m heartbroken to say the least. I’ve been given the offer to appeal but I have no actual proof due to the fact I’m not a registered carer for her. The only thing I can do is show them my anti-depressants from my doctor and get him to vouch for my insomnia. I don’t know what to do.
    I don’t even know how to tell my family. They won’t understand.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ncabs)
    Hello,

I’m desperately hoping someone can give me advice.

So, to keep this as short as possible, I have been withdrawn from my course due to lack of attendance.

I have lived with my other half for nearly 5 years now. In 2016 his mother unfortunately and unexpectedly passed away. This meant we had to move homes and have been bouncing around since, however it is our duty to care for his elderly grandmother. His aunt, whom his grandmother lives with was forced to go back to work due to funds running short. She has to leave at 5am every morning in order to get to work. Towards the end of last year his grand mother’s health deteriorated and her dementia was progressionally worsening. When his aunt left the house she would fall of of her bed etc. So myself and my partner had to take turns throughout the week to go there in the mornings or stay over to make sure she would be okay until the carers arrived (always very late so most days I was unable to make
    It in on time). Since then she has worsened so much that she is unable to walk/talk/eat.
    (not a sob story just explaining my current situation)

So.. I have had 2 meetings, first one was very brief but I told them about my problems. Last meeting was last week and I informed them that I have officially moved in to my mums in order to take my education seriously and focus on this solely (which I have). Today I recieved my withdrawal from course notice and I can only say that I’m heartbroken to say the least. I’ve been given the offer to appeal but I have no actual proof due to the fact I’m not a registered carer for her. The only thing I can do is show them my anti-depressants from my doctor and get him to vouch for my insomnia. I don’t know what to do.
    I don’t even know how to tell my family. They won’t understand.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Go and speak to the student adviser in the SU.

The full picture is not clear. Go back and talk to your personal tutor.

It is unclear for how long this went on.
    How it affected your studies.
    What level of attendance you had.
    What year you are in.
    Your general marks.

Depending on course then normally they dont care about you missing lectures, but they do care about missing seminars, failing to hand work in and low marks.

It would be unusual for them to withdraw you without a number of warnings.

You appear to have handled the situation poorly by failing to keep them informed and am guessing at letting your studies suffer, plus failing to interact with health professionals to cover your back.

In any event you should appeal and put together the best case you can. Did the grandma have a social worker or someone official who can provide a statement to verify her condition?

My concern is you made a choice to miss parts of your course, when they must have given you a warning or its in the rules you were in danger and needed to improve. Write a detailed account of what went on and take it to an advisor. You should definitely appeal, but get it checked. Only someone who has gotten all the facts like an advisor can suggest what things to emphasise.

If you are only a first year, then you get a gift year so you can apply elsewhere or ask to redo the year. You do need to think about your actions and the implications more , though as it could have been avoided.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for such a detailed response. I am in my first year and this has been ongoing since December. Re-doing the year would be the best thing for me at this point as I agree that it may be unrealistic for me to be at the level that others are in a short amount of time. How would I go about trying to re-do the year at the same Uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ncabs)
    Thank you for such a detailed response. I am in my first year and this has been ongoing since December. Re-doing the year would be the best thing for me at this point as I agree that it may be unrealistic for me to be at the level that others are in a short amount of time. How would I go about trying to re-do the year at the same Uni?
    Get in touch with your faculty office or your year lead and request to repeat the year. What course are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealAdam1)
    Get in touch with your faculty office or your year lead and request to repeat the year. What course are you studying?
    Media & Communications. Definitely happy with the course itself

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.