Turn on thread page Beta

In 2015 I think I was assaulted can't be sure it was borderline but it's something that I can't pretend hasn't affected me. I lost all of my friends over it and it completely knocked my confidence and self esteem. Although, I have since moved away from the town for university and found myself some truly amazing and inspiring people who I genuinely believe are my friends through thick and thin recently something happened between a flatmate and I that brought a lot of old memories flat and I now can't look at him because I'm scared of him so much which is ridiculous because he's a genuinely decent-ish guy. I can't stand the thought of being in a relationship because I'm so insecure about how I am and I'm scared that if a guy says something the wrong way I'm going to freak out internally and I don't want that to happen. I've only met one decent guy at uni who I completely opened up to as he was always really careful about what he did around me and made sure I was comfortable with everything but we stopped talking because I was "too good for him" more or less I wouldn't sleep with him and I was too boring and naive. He always told me I needed to have more self confidence and that I cared too much about what people thought and I know he's right. He is now dating some really hot edgy girl but that didn't stop him messaging me for the first 6 months of their relationship so even he turned out to be a ****. I've always thought about counselling because I do go through some pretty depressive/agoraphobic spells if I don't have a full workload then I get a bit lost but I think everyone goes through this and I'm too scared to open up to a gp about anything because I don't know if I'm bad enough to qualify for help?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In 2015 I think I was assaulted can't be sure it was borderline but it's something that I can't pretend hasn't affected me. I lost all of my friends over it and it completely knocked my confidence and self esteem. Although, I have since moved away from the town for university and found myself some truly amazing and inspiring people who I genuinely believe are my friends through thick and thin recently something happened between a flatmate and I that brought a lot of old memories flat and I now can't look at him because I'm scared of him so much which is ridiculous because he's a genuinely decent-ish guy. I can't stand the thought of being in a relationship because I'm so insecure about how I am and I'm scared that if a guy says something the wrong way I'm going to freak out internally and I don't want that to happen. I've only met one decent guy at uni who I completely opened up to as he was always really careful about what he did around me and made sure I was comfortable with everything but we stopped talking because I was "too good for him" more or less I wouldn't sleep with him and I was too boring and naive. He always told me I needed to have more self confidence and that I cared too much about what people thought and I know he's right. He is now dating some really hot edgy girl but that didn't stop him messaging me for the first 6 months of their relationship so even he turned out to be a ****. I've always thought about counselling because I do go through some pretty depressive/agoraphobic spells if I don't have a full workload then I get a bit lost but I think everyone goes through this and I'm too scared to open up to a gp about anything because I don't know if I'm bad enough to qualify for help?
    Counselling can be really helpful for various issues from depression to just wanting to work on a better revision ethic. You don't have to be "bad enough". You might find it's not a good fit for you and your issues or you may find it really beneficial. Best way to find out is to give it a go.
    I would say wanting to improve your self confidence is a very good reason to try it. If you're still in education you should be able to access it through your school/ uni. You can also have a look to see if you have any NHS self referral services in your area, look into paid counselling (which you don't need a referral for) or have a chat with your GP.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.