The Student Room Group

Masters in Econ - Got rejected by LSE, UCL and Cambridge. What to do next?

I am graduating with BSc Econ and Econometrics from Exeter. High first class. Reasonably heavy courses in math and econometrics. Have previous working experience for one year plus one summer internship - both related to economics/finance.

I thought my Personal Statement was good (Lol) and described my areas of interest within Economics.

I thought I had everything (academics, work experience, personal statement). Yet I have got rejections from LSE (MSc Econometrics), Cambridge (MPhil in Economics research) and UCL (Msc Econ). Still waiting for Oxford. Any idea why?

What other universities are good in MSc Econ? I am interested in real, hardcore economics and not finance or markets. I am thinking of applying to Warwick. Any other universities worth thinking about?
Reply 1
Thank you.

I should have mentioned that there is a good possibility I might want to go on to a PhD in the US or in other good universities in UK/Europe.

Does it make sense to consider any European masters programs in Econ? I don't know anything about any of them. Any pointers to start me off would be helpful.
Did you tailor your personal statement to each university you applied to (i.e. to their research strengths, expertise or facilities etc)?
That’s scary because I intend to study in one of those institutions too but MSc Finance instead of economics and knowing you’ve got a high first along with meaningful working experience and nonetheless you didn’t manage to get a place frightens me to be honest especially because I’m aiming to finish with a first as well, I go to Birkbeck which might not even be as reputable as Exeter..
Reply 4
I had taken quite a few quant/econometrics/math courses and my degree itself if Econ+Econometrics.

Looking back, I think the shortcoming might have been that my personal statement was not sufficiently tailored to cite each uni's research, etc. I am trying to correct that for Warwick and others.

I got a feeling by talking to an LSE (Economics and Econometrics) alumnus that a lot of people in that course were not straight out of undergrad, but had several years of work experience or even PhD in Physics, etc. I don't know how valid that statement is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending