Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In my exams, I always feel I did great, mainly because of creative the descriptions ( in Language) and my ambitious vocab on both papers. I still dont know where i let the marks slip!! I work so hard to make the essays look well organized and structured (coherent), so why do i get marked down?? Can someone give me general tips for each paragraph? (especially for Literature Papers..)
    I appreciate it!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok I did my GCSEs in 2016, so I know the specifications are rather different (and also my methods of revision may not be useful to you due to lack of papers for the new spec).. but what I did was:
    •watched Mr Bruff videos
    •for English Language I wouldn’t do a whole paper in one go - I’d do lots of 1 question in order to get the hang of it. I’d give my answers to my English teacher to mark and use the feedback to improve. Most of my improvements were based around being more descriptive when linking two articles together (i think they took this question out of your spec anyway).
    •I read a few news articles a day as we had news sources to analyse so reading the news daily helped me read them quickly and know where to find main bits of info
    •for the long answer section, I didn’t do that much practice admittedly as I am someone who can write well without much prep. But what I did do was read model answers (in fact I did this for all questions) and read the examiners reports and AO criteria so I knew what examiners would class as a high standard written piece.
    •I also read markschemes to distinguish between common and rarer answers (or in other words, less impressive and more impressive answers) which taught me to infer really well.
    I ended up with an A* overall in Language.
    For English Lit, I barely prepped until March time as I haaaated it with a passion and avoided it as much as possible. I do NOT recommend doing this!!
    What I did do:
    •read the books
    •analysed them A LOT
    •used colour coordinated sticky tabs to differentiate between key themes and characters
    •made mind maps for EVERY CHAPTER, EVERY THEME POSSIBLE and EVERY CHARACTER POSSIBLE (even the animals - one of the questions in my Lit exam was about the dog in one of the books I had to read!)
    •for every theme/character come up with about 5-10 quotes (and try to know the chapters they’re from)
    •plan as many essays as you can with very detailed bullet points
    •personally I would not recommend fully writing out every single essay you do - do this at the beginning so you know how you fare in terms of timing, but IMO planning is more valid as you need to ensure you have a bank of good ideas for all the essays possible.
    •go through EVERY past paper
    Attached Images

Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportyegg)
    Ok I did my GCSEs in 2016, so I know the specifications are rather different (and also my methods of revision may not be useful to you due to lack of papers for the new spec).. but what I did was:
    •watched Mr Bruff videos
    •for English Language I wouldn’t do a whole paper in one go - I’d do lots of 1 question in order to get the hang of it. I’d give my answers to my English teacher to mark and use the feedback to improve. Most of my improvements were based around being more descriptive when linking two articles together (i think they took this question out of your spec anyway).
    •I read a few news articles a day as we had news sources to analyse so reading the news daily helped me read them quickly and know where to find main bits of info
    •for the long answer section, I didn’t do that much practice admittedly as I am someone who can write well without much prep. But what I did do was read model answers (in fact I did this for all questions) and read the examiners reports and AO criteria so I knew what examiners would class as a high standard written piece.
    •I also read markschemes to distinguish between common and rarer answers (or in other words, less impressive and more impressive answers) which taught me to infer really well.
    I ended up with an A* overall in Language.
    For English Lit, I barely prepped until March time as I haaaated it with a passion and avoided it as much as possible. I do NOT recommend doing this!!
    What I did do:
    •read the books
    •analysed them A LOT
    •used colour coordinated sticky tabs to differentiate between key themes and characters
    •made mind maps for EVERY CHAPTER, EVERY THEME POSSIBLE and EVERY CHARACTER POSSIBLE (even the animals - one of the questions in my Lit exam was about the dog in one of the books I had to read!)
    •for every theme/character come up with about 5-10 quotes (and try to know the chapters they’re from)
    •plan as many essays as you can with very detailed bullet points
    •personally I would not recommend fully writing out every single essay you do - do this at the beginning so you know how you fare in terms of timing, but IMO planning is more valid as you need to ensure you have a bank of good ideas for all the essays possible.
    •go through EVERY past paper
    :O
    I also hate English Literature, and its almost March!! I will try to follow your advice about starting early, even though I prefer doing it in the last minute ( a really bad habit :P).
    I really liked reading all your tips! and I think they are the most efficient techniques to achieve a high grade!!
    Thank you soo much for writing it all down, I appreciate itt!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Userstudent123)
    :O
    I also hate English Literature, and its almost March!! I will try to follow your advice about starting early, even though I prefer doing it in the last minute ( a really bad habit :P).
    I really liked reading all your tips! and I think they are the most efficient techniques to achieve a high grade!!
    Thank you soo much for writing it all down, I appreciate itt!!
    No worries!!

Not all of what I wrote showed up I just realised!
    For English lit I also read all the markschemes and memorised all the points.

You should also write your own essays on any theme and character and all the chapters. This will help you lean the content really welll

For poetry:
    Analyse every poem and make each poem into a mind map and write about every theme and try to make links between poems as this will help you in the exam when you have to analyse 2 poems.
    I got an A overall in Lit (could’ve got an A* if I was more bothered about it haha)

Good luck!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 16, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.