Turn on thread page Beta

my girlfriend wants to leave me because my GPA is a 2.7 watch

my girlfriend is very smart in law school and she has always been a great student. good grades. I on the other hand have just come come back to school after 10 years, when I did not do so well in high school, i dropped out. now I am in a university with a 2.7 and she is making it hard for me. saying a bunch of things. She gave me a ultimatum when I was in community college that if i didnt get into a university she would dump me, cause she didnt wanna date someone who couldn't get in, when she said that I ended up failing two classes, because I tried to push myself harder and was so worried i wouldnt get in, and I lied about it and she found out , so I understand her wanting to leave me for that, but she's decided to stay and now that I got into a university im trying very hard but its hard to bring a gpa after a few fails, what should i do. I love her dearly, but I think i am not good enough for her.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    my girlfriend is very smart in law school and she has always been a great student. good grades. I on the other hand have just come come back to school after 10 years, when I did not do so well in high school, i dropped out. now I am in a university with a 2.7 and she is making it hard for me. saying a bunch of things. She gave me a ultimatum when I was in community college that if i didnt get into a university she would dump me, cause she didnt wanna date someone who couldn't get in, when she said that I ended up failing two classes, because I tried to push myself harder and was so worried i wouldnt get in, and I lied about it and she found out , so I understand her wanting to leave me for that, but she's decided to stay and now that I got into a university im trying very hard but its hard to bring a gpa after a few fails, what should i do. I love her dearly, but I think i am not good enough for her.
    Dump and meet new people at uni
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Dump her. You should be with someone supportive, not someone who thinks less of you because of your grades. She's disgusting for having that attitude, and you should be with someone much better.

ReputationRep:
    You are way too good for her ! If she really loves you having gpa or good grades wouldn't matter to her .
    She should love you for you being YOU .

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhhh boy.

Let her gooooooo.

Honestly, anybody who is snobby about intelligence or college or university isn’t worth having in your life.
    It may seem hard, but trust me things will get better.

What you’re doing now is incredible, you’ve completely pulled it around! Just relax, keep working hard and grades will go up naturally.

You don’t need her pressuring you, you’re doing just fine.

Honestly, you’re doing really well and she clearly can’t see that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    She doesn't need a man, she needs a computerised vibrator.

High maintenance: dump, restore your self esteem and enjoy life before attempting a new relationship.

ReputationRep:
    I didn’t know girlfriends had entry requirements.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Don't date someone who gives you an ultimatum like that.

ReputationRep:
    Any one who treats you like this isn’t worth your time. My husband isn’t the most academic person but why would that change how I feel about him?

Sounds like she cares more about how she thinks others may view you, than she does about you.

Don't see why it's wrong for her to want someone with good grades. Maybe you are intelligent bc grades don't always judge intelligence but why is it wrong for her to care about that. She clearly works hard and wants to be with someone who works as hard as her and gets the same grades. Have you ever seen a homeless man with a milionaire?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you should probably find someone who is going to appreciate you and not dump you over grades. She shouldn't be-little you and make you feel bad and should appreciate you trying. There shouldnt be a criteria for your boyfriend...
    I can kind of see what she means in the sense that most mind sets towards grades is good grades = good paying job, so she might just want to make sure you can both be financially stable in the future, but then again she could just be a horrible person who thinks university is the only way to achieve and if you don't get in, you're dumb (not true btw, just because someone doesn't achieve academically doesn't mean they're stupid).

Maybe raise this issue to her, it seems very one sided atm, so why not let her know you don't like how she's treating you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    While she she seems to be vocalising it very poorly, I don't really see a problem with wanting to date someone on a similar academic level to yourself. I totally agree that it's probably best to end the relationship, it's not healthy for you to lie to her and it's not healthy for her to give you ultimatums. But holding someone to an academic standard is really no different to dating based on looks or personality.

If academics is something she values, that's absolutely fine. What's not fine is threatening to leave you if you don't go to uni. That's controlling and doesn't fix the issue. That's a much bigger problem in your relationship than whether she values your grades or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Don't see why it's wrong for her to want someone with good grades. Maybe you are intelligent bc grades don't always judge intelligence but why is it wrong for her to care about that. She clearly works hard and wants to be with someone who works as hard as her and gets the same grades. Have you ever seen a homeless man with a milionaire?
    Grades =/= intelligence or earning potential or ambition

Those things are all reasonable to expect but grades themselves are a random measure which doesn' help.

Higher education is not for everyone, you have to pursue something you're good at. If she does not want to see you take a better and an achievable path than just focus on yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You need to drop her like now. She will be the reason you fail to keep up in university. She's not helping you one bit but pulling you down. Dump her. Do well at Uni. And live a better life with a more beautiful, accepting smart Girlfriend than her!

ReputationRep:
    She would fit in very well in TSR

Ask yourself this. Why would you want to be with someone who puts you down like that? you are wayy to good for her not the other way round. she obviously doesn't value you as a person and isn't with you for the right reasons. Dump her *****y ass and be with a person who is gonna value you and respect you. you honestly don't deserve this sort of treatment at all!

ReputationRep:
    You need to put yourself before her in certain things in your life. I myself was planning on breaking up with my boyfriend, because he was failing classes. I now know how he felt about that when someone planned to do the same to me. Don't worry about her pressure on you, instead you focus on doing you best to reach whatever goal you're trying to reach in life. The reason I was pressuring my boyfriend so hard was because it made me look bad, maybe look in to just sitting down and talk to her about it. Maybe she with you for all the wrong reasons. Stop being anonymous with her, and be your true self. Tell her how You truly feel.

ReputationRep:
    you should be with someone who supports you

ReputationRep:
    She is probably dumb herself

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.