Turn on thread page Beta

my girlfriend wants to leave me because my GPA is a 2.7 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    my girlfriend is very smart in law school and she has always been a great student. good grades. I on the other hand have just come come back to school after 10 years, when I did not do so well in high school, i dropped out. now I am in a university with a 2.7 and she is making it hard for me. saying a bunch of things. She gave me a ultimatum when I was in community college that if i didnt get into a university she would dump me, cause she didnt wanna date someone who couldn't get in, when she said that I ended up failing two classes, because I tried to push myself harder and was so worried i wouldnt get in, and I lied about it and she found out , so I understand her wanting to leave me for that, but she's decided to stay and now that I got into a university im trying very hard but its hard to bring a gpa after a few fails, what should i do. I love her dearly, but I think i am not good enough for her.
    Go MGTOW. Search it up on YouTube, and free yourself from the expectations and ramblings of women and go on your path to self actualisation. Because in this life, there are no do overs, and you can only strive to be the best you can be, so don’t waste it with some ***** who just nags and lives parasitically off of your time and money. YOUR TIME AND MONEY, remember that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Grades =/= intelligence or earning potential or ambition
    That's not strictly true. There is going to be a correlation between those who get high grades and those who go on to earn more money. In some cases, getting high grades does require you to actually be intelligent and you don't walk out of uni with a 1st without some level of ambition. Obviously not everyone who gets high grades is intelligent, will earn thousands and is super ambitious but there's certainly a link there. Of course there are many factors such as course type and personality but grades are certainly not unrelated to intelligence, earning potential and ambition.

ReputationRep:
    her GPA ( Girlfriend Point Average ) is 0.04

ReputationRep:
    you may love her dearly buddy, but take into consideration how its making you feel, remember love is kind

you need support not ultimatums, I'm sorry to say this coz i know you love her.

but you may need to look for love elsewhere, and know that what ever you get, you did your best and thats nothing to feel embarrassed about !

ReputationRep:
    "now that I got into a university im trying very hard but its hard to bring a gpa after a few fails, what should i do"

Drop out of Uni and become a CORGI registered plumber. Or even better, stay in Uni whilst also becoming a CORGI registered plumber. Or become a plasterer or electrician or joiner or roofer - whatever trade you fancy.

Go self-employed in the South East of England for a few years. Pop by her place in your Bentley Bentayga in 2025 to see how she's doing.

Yeah dude, it's time to let her the **** go! You don't need a girlfriend who puts those kinds of requirements. It is one thing when a partner wants to encourage you to do better and get your life together but another thing is putting requirements like those on someone and pushing them down. That is not support to tough love, that is just her having her knickers in a twist. Let her go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.)
    I didn’t know girlfriends had entry requirements.
    Bro ,you are on fire with these lines.

ReputationRep:
    The girl sounds like a typical tsr pretentious snob.
    Dump that bish

ReputationRep:
    2.7 just isn't big enough for some girls...

ReputationRep:
    my girlfriend is very smart in law school and she has always been a great student. good grades. I on the other hand have just come come back to school after 10 years, when I did not do so well in high school, i dropped out. now I am in a university with a 2.7 and she is making it hard for me. saying a bunch of things. She gave me a ultimatum when I was in community college that if i didnt get into a university she would dump me, cause she didnt wanna date someone who couldn't get in, when she said that I ended up failing two classes, because I tried to push myself harder and was so worried i wouldnt get in, and I lied about it and she found out , so I understand her wanting to leave me for that, but she's decided to stay and now that I got into a university im trying very hard but its hard to bring a gpa after a few fails, what should i do. I love her dearly, but I think i am not good enough for her.
    Leave her and do your own thing, or else you spend the rest of your life trying to please her and never being happy and content with yourself. Or, maybe she says she will leave you because she loves you and wants to motivate you to work harder and do well because she doesn't want a dead beat bf to introduce her family to and grow old with. So you could takke it either way, it's up to you. However, if shes stayed with you after all this, i reckon she loves you as well and only wants the best but gets frustrated sometimes when you let yourself and her down, therefore saying all this. It's best if you talk to her about the pressure she is putting on you and how it affects you mentally and emotionally!

ReputationRep:
    Get rid, now. That kind of attitude towards university is ridiculous - I know so many people who plodded through mediocre courses at mediocre universities just because university is the done thing, and it achieved absolutely NOTHING for their life goals. If she's so short-sighted as to throw you down a path that clearly isn't meant for you, she is not as intelligent as she's pretending to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    That's not strictly true. There is going to be a correlation between those who get high grades and those who go on to earn more money. In some cases, getting high grades does require you to actually be intelligent and you don't walk out of uni with a 1st without some level of ambition. Obviously not everyone who gets high grades is intelligent, will earn thousands and is super ambitious but there's certainly a link there. Of course there are many factors such as course type and personality but grades are certainly not unrelated to intelligence, earning potential and ambition.
    It correlates with how g-loaded the tests in question are, as g and earnings do correlate well. American SATs, for instance, are apparently pretty good proxies for more g-loaded IQ tests. Regardless, you raise good points, in the end it represents potential and if you don't use it, you won't benefit from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous)
    my girlfriend is very smart in law school and she has always been a great student. Good grades. I on the other hand have just come come back to school after 10 years, when i did not do so well in high school, i dropped out. Now i am in a university with a 2.7 and she is making it hard for me. Saying a bunch of things. She gave me a ultimatum when i was in community college that if i didnt get into a university she would dump me, cause she didnt wanna date someone who couldn't get in, when she said that i ended up failing two classes, because i tried to push myself harder and was so worried i wouldnt get in, and i lied about it and she found out , so i understand her wanting to leave me for that, but she's decided to stay and now that i got into a university im trying very hard but its hard to bring a gpa after a few fails, what should i do. I love her dearly, but i think i am not good enough for her.

for how long you have been dating?
    ……..
    Show her that you are trying alot and with all this trying you are getting pressurised too. Everyone needs a partner who is smart, caring and loving. But at the same time motivating and supporting too.

I firmly believe that her intention is not to dump you or hurt you or pressurise you, instead she wants you to work hard cause maybe she has seen that potential in you however, its not the intention its the way she is doing it which is wrong.

Firstly, you need to make her understand that she needs to be supportive. Like she saying that you need to get in or i will dump you, for some it might be a boost to wrok hard and get succeeded but not for all. But please dont say it directly, it can make the situation worse. Make it indirectly , gentle and from heart.Make sure you make her understand maturely and gently.

Secondly, i think she wants to help you to grow but calmly and probably, a face to face conversation would be much better than video call or call or on chat, tell her how much you love her and that you are trying your best.

Thirdly, have faith and be kind. One cannot succed if he/she dont beilve in their own self. We all have flaws but that doesnt make you less than others, so dont think you arent good enough for her.

#I hope you stay happy together.
    #thank you for reading and hope it helps you.
    #let me know what you felt about the above suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    either you are a troll, or your girlfriend is Asian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonotyoutoo)
    either you are a troll, or your girlfriend is Asian.
    what makes you think she's definitely Asian?
    A bit rude...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    You can have all those things with a poor academic record though. So the grade shouldn't be an important factor only the things that come with it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    You can have all those things with a poor academic record though. So the grade shouldn't be an important factor only the things that come with it.
    I'm not saying you can't. I'm simply saying that your original post of

Grades =/= intelligence or earning potential or ambition

Is not strictly correct either. Yes, you can have low grades and be intelligent or high grades and have low ambition. That's the whole point, your absolute statement isn't correct because as you've pointed out there are outliers.

That said, there is an undeniable correlation. As a general rule those who get good grades are going to be more intelligent, earn more and will go further. I'm not simply saying those with top grades but comparing all the students getting Bs and As to all those getting Ds and Es. Yes, of course there will be some students who get Es and do well. But as a general rule, it'll be the A and B students doing better than the D and E students.

Whether the grade should be an important factor is not really up to you. We all have our personal preferences and if someone wants to value a good education then that's absolutely fine. Of course it's important to remember that those who value grades don't go around checking what you got in school before dating you. It's more likely they value the things that come with top grades. I've mentioned before that the way this scenario played out in the OP is not ideal but there's nothing inherently wrong with valuing good grades. Most people assume that valuing grades mean you only value the number. That's usually not the case and in threads like this we never get to hear the other side of the story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frwfood)
    what makes you think she's definitely Asian?
    A bit rude...
    Asian women are materialistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonotyoutoo)
    Asian women are materialistic
    And Western women definitely never aren't, or Western men either. That's a whole new stupid stereotype I've never heard of, kudos.

Regardless of the reason, if someone makes you feel horrible, you shouldn't be with them. I understand if she cares about YOU improving YOUR life, but it seems like she's more embarassed of being with someome who isn't at university. In which case, she's pushing you for all the wrong reasons. Don't be with someone whose life plans don't add up with yours but at the same time, don't be with someone who can't make you better. It's a fine line.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.