Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is the one genre of music you all like and dislike? watch

(Original post by niallh1)
    heavy metal to me is like slipknot
    Slipknot are not very good tbf.

Anyone know what genre this type of song is? I'm looking for more songs like this but I can only find a few in the suggestions. Thanks!

I love music in general, i can go from listening to classical music to technical death metal, or even black metal.
    I mainly listen to Metal and Hip-Hop, and like Reggae, Rock, Pop, R&B etc...

However, the one genre of music I've never liked is Country. I like anything but country, I try to ignore certain prejudices against different music genres and go in and form my own take on things but I don't like Country.

To address the metal dislike:
    To appreciate metal music you can't just dive in and listen to the extreme genres first, they're not meant to be easily accessible. That's why you start out with the lighter and more traditional bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica and Judas Priest for example. Since these groups have a more bluesy influence in the guitar playing similar to rock while maintaining the classical composing influence which Heavy Metal has. Also these groups have no "screams" in their music. You can't just decide to plonk some Emperor, Decapitated, Death or Ulcerate and immediately love it and jam out, not many people get into extreme metal that way.

I love rock, indie, some modern classical and older 'pop' bands such as the Beatles and Pink Floyd. I don't like modern pop and I'm not keen on country & rap x

I can listen to everything but for some reason country makes me want to SCREAM

I don't what it is but the music is like diddly fiddly doo like I'm sitting in a wheat field on my wheat chair eating wheat staring out into the wheat field. ALL I SEE IS WHEAT

There's some great music in every possible genre' if you're open to new possibilities.

Loves: House. (such a massively huge umbrella term. So particularly; Deep, soulful House. But also early - mid '90's British progressive house, early Euro / US techno & trance, old skool hardcore breakbeat, early Jungle and D&B, 97-98 trance re-birth, 'balearic' / downbeat / chillout)

[Sneaking this in] Likes: 80's-90's Goth, 'Classic' rock, 2-tone British sca revival, hardcore punk / crust, some trash and grunge, '80's indie rock, electro & old skool hip-hop, alt.rock / nu metal, ambient electronica

Hates: Opera! 99.99% formulaic chart trash, 95% of modern hip-hop, rap and 'R&B', emo / screamo, death / black metal, most 'world' music
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.