Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello everyone,

So I've been recently very upset (for the last month) over the fact that I may have made the wrong decision to take a level. In my school we had a choice to either take the IB or a level and I was fairly decisive since I never thought I would get the grades to do ib and I hated science and maths and was bad and them.

However, I did better than I thought in my gcses and got all a*-b grades somehow. I could have done ib and honestly, I eish I had just failed maths now because of how much inner torment I have had to deal with because of this currently.

I fell in love with my a levels at first, I loved my teachers, my subjects.... I do art, history politics and the arts award btw. But now I feel sick even thinking about them, I can't even bring myself to do the extra reading and work I used to do. All I think about now is whether I would have been better off doing ib

I know I want to do history and art at uni since I love them so much... but now I can't bring myself to look at my ussr textbook... I still love art but that's always really just been the a level I chose because I am self talented.

I'm naturally a worrier and the stressy type. I chose a levels to give myself a break this year and give it my all the next. I know ib had people I didn't like doing it, maths and science which I had to self teach since I was bad... But I don't know if I would have been happier doing it.... I just really want to love my subjects and be happier about it you know!

Now I'm seeing a councillor (from this week) and I hope this helps. Sometimes I feel like I would have been better just being dead than feeling like this constantly (but I love my family too much to hurt them like that)

Any help would be really helpful and anything to boost my self confidence o just need to know I did the right thing choosing a levels.

I hope you are better now. I don't know much about IB since I am an AS Level student myself. But I thought I'll share my personal experience. This option of IB or A level came before me as well when I finished by IGCSEs . I got 7 A*s and 2 A's. Though I did well in my second language and physics and chemistry, I did not want to study them further. I am really passionate about Economics, Business studies and want to to Economics at Uni. A levels give me the option to study the subjects I'm best at and so I can focus and devote my time to the subjects I'm best at and love. Since you love Art and History so much, you should be happy that you are able to put in all your efforts on these and can give your best whereas in IB you will have to study subjects that not so close to you and spend more time on those, maybe giving less attention to your favourite subjects. So remain positive and do your best and You'll reach great heights.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.