The Student Room Group

Eligibility

Hello,
I am a Ghanaian National but I have lived and studied in Italy for 7 years and my dad is an Italian citizen who lives and works in the UK for about a year now.I joined my dad here in the Uk last year November, I am financially dependent on my dad.I would like to know if I would be eligible for a student finance loan as the family member of a migrant worker.
Thank you and Kind Regards.
Original post by yangt
Hello,
I am a Ghanaian National but I have lived and studied in Italy for 7 years and my dad is an Italian citizen who lives and works in the UK for about a year now.I joined my dad here in the Uk last year November, I am financially dependent on my dad.I would like to know if I would be eligible for a student finance loan as the family member of a migrant worker.
Thank you and Kind Regards.

Hi yangt,

Can you advise if you are over 21 years of age and what is your Home Office status in the UK?

Thanks Rona
Reply 2
Hi,
Yes I am over 21 years of age and currently hold a Residence Card(dependant family member of an EEA national) valid for 5 years
Original post by yangt
Hi,
Yes I am over 21 years of age and currently hold a Residence Card(dependant family member of an EEA national) valid for 5 years

Hi yangt,

To apply a Migrant Worker you must fit the following criteria:

EU/EEA or Swiss National (or family member of)

Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of their course

Ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course

They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/Child or grandchild must be working throughout the students studies

They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/grandchild must receive wages for this work but can also have ‘pocket money’ for voluntary work i.e. Au Pair

This work must be effective, genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or ancillary

we also require evidence,

Employed

The students original Passport or National ID Card

The parent or step parents original Passport or National ID Card

Croatian Nationals Only - Migrant Worker’s Permit (yellow/blue or purple card)

A photocopy of the students birth certificate naming the parent

If the family member is a step parent, we will need to see the original marriage certificate and the biological parents original Passport or National ID Card

If the student is not an EU/EEA National we will need to see Home Office Visas to cover the entire UK residency period

A copy of the parent or step parents contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which they work if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if they are on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the employment status with their employer)

The parent or step parents last 3 months payslips (if available)

The parent or step parents most recent P60 (if available)

Termly evidence

Self Employed

The students original Passport or National ID Card

The parent or step parents original Passport or National ID Card

Croatian Nationals Only - Migrant Worker’s Permit (yellow/blue or purple card)

A photocopy of the students birth certificate naming the parent

If the family member is a step parent, we will need to see the original marriage certificate and the biological parents original Passport or National ID Card

If the student is not an EU/EEA National we will need to see Home Office Visas to cover the entire UK residency period

Evidence that the parent or step parent is registered self employed with HMRC (can accept UTR letter)

The parent or step parents last 3 months invoices and corresponding bank statements (if available)

The parent or step parents last 3 months business expenditure (if available)

The parent or step parents most recent tax return (if available)

Termly evidence

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 4
Hi,
Thank you for the detailed outline of the criteria needed. I would like to ask one last question; do I have to apply online or fill out a particular form and post it to Student Finance?
Many Thanks.
Original post by yangt
Hi,
Thank you for the detailed outline of the criteria needed. I would like to ask one last question; do I have to apply online or fill out a particular form and post it to Student Finance?
Many Thanks.

Hi yangt,

I would suggest that you send in the paper application to Student Finance along with all of the required evidence.

Please find the link to the PN1 form below.

http://bit.ly/2H8DT5g

Thanks

Louise
Reply 6
Alright, thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending