Turn on thread page Beta

Long Distance Relationship? watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m kind of in one myself, though we both live in England (one of us in Midlands, the other in London).

They can work, it depends what you’re looking for, and how special you both are as individuals and to eachother. I mean, could you see yourself with many people or are you looking for an extremely specific type of person, because that matters.

NY and England though... hmm ... red flag there.

Perhaps it’s not wise. If you have been in a past relationship, compare how they made you feel vs how this guy makes you feel. If your current feelings towards this guy completely dwarf the connection you had to others then it could work. My parents were international so it’s a possibility.

You know yourself best, but beware romantic feelings can play tricks on your mind...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Long Distance relationships are the type of thing you grow out of trust me because they're just so unrealistic. It's basically a dream your holding onto that will never work in reality. It's just silly tbh.

ReputationRep:
    no
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    Long Distance relationships are the type of thing you grow out of trust me because they're just so unrealistic. It's basically a dream your holding onto that will never work in reality. It's just silly tbh.
    Very untrue. They can be like that if you don't deal with it properly but if you are fully communicating and talking about the relationship and what you both want it can be just fine it all depends on the people involved.

Me and my gf are long distance and I'd say our situation is a bit tougher than the usual long distance but we've talked through lots of different aspects and are strong enough to withstand the short pains here and there and later this year we are making out long distance to moving in together

I think the main problem these days is that there are too many of thse flingy short term relationships (if this is what you want then go for it as long as both partners just need to talk about goals)
    and not enough people are willing to discuss and have real talks with each other and instead just enjoy the moment here and now which ends up with some break up at the end because both partners don't know how to deal with the problems or gaps they never discused.

But, it's not easy that's for sure but the outcome can be just amazing if you want it to be
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    one word... No

ReputationRep:
    Don't. You'll get hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiarichards16)
    I'm currently single and he seems like the one for me but I guess that's coz I'm still young and naïve. But every time I talk to him, I get butterflies in my stomach. He is not like other guys and he is so sweet and caring. I do wonder whether that just hormones or whether its true emotions.
    How does the way you feel about him compare to the way you've felt about someone in the past? Is this the first time you've felt like that about someone?

"young and naive" might be right, but you can't help that without having anybody or any past experience to compare that with. I mean, you only experience life by living it, right?

All the older, more sensible and less-naive people will tell you that you're going to get hurt, that you're going to regret it, and it'll be a big mistake. I guess you could let the fact that they're probably right deter you from finding out for yourself the hard way. But to be honest, the only way you're going to go from being young and naive to young and slightly less naive is just to it happen anyway.

I'm not saying that breakups are in any way a good thing, but they are a part of life. I've had several breakups which all felt about as difficult as losing a close family member or your best friend, or having a limb cut off :/

Here's another way to look at it - if you worry too much about getting hurt, making mistakes and having regrets then maybe you'll spare yourself all the uncontrollable grief, but actually you're not going to get anywhere in life by doing that either If you could divide people up into two two categories, youd get the ones who have a tonne of baggage, regrets and emotional scars, then the ones who have never been in a serious relationship. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently single and he seems like the one for me but I guess that's coz I'm still young and naïve. But every time I talk to him, I get butterflies in my stomach. He is not like other guys and he is so sweet and caring. I do wonder whether that just hormones or whether its true emotions.
    I am so sorry that I didn't get back to you. You get busy over the weekend!!! There is every posibility in the world that he could be the one for you, and if you have those iffy feelings about him sometimes, you just have to learn how to trust him better. No matter what, it'll all work out the way it needs to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winterscoming)
    How does the way you feel about him compare to the way you've felt about someone in the past? Is this the first time you've felt like that about someone?

"young and naive" might be right, but you can't help that without having anybody or any past experience to compare that with. I mean, you only experience life by living it, right?

All the older, more sensible and less-naive people will tell you that you're going to get hurt, that you're going to regret it, and it'll be a big mistake. I guess you could let the fact that they're probably right deter you from finding out for yourself the hard way. But to be honest, the only way you're going to go from being young and naive to young and slightly less naive is just to it happen anyway.

I'm not saying that breakups are in any way a good thing, but they are a part of life. I've had several breakups which all felt about as difficult as losing a close family member or your best friend, or having a limb cut off :/

Here's another way to look at it - if you worry too much about getting hurt, making mistakes and having regrets then maybe you'll spare yourself all the uncontrollable grief, but actually you're not going to get anywhere in life by doing that either If you could divide people up into two two categories, youd get the ones who have a tonne of baggage, regrets and emotional scars, then the ones who have never been in a serious relationship. :rolleyes:
    I'm not so confident when it comes to relationships as all my last relationships have gone really bad

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so confident when it comes to relationships as all my last relationships have gone really bad
    There's no such thing as a "good" way to end a relationship though, they're all bad. If they didn't go bad then you'd still be together, right? It always sucks though. But you know what, the past doesn't matter! There are millions of single people who all had loads of failed relationships, you just keep trying and see what comes along

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winterscoming)
    There's no such thing as a "good" way to end a relationship though, they're all bad. If they didn't go bad then you'd still be together, right? It always sucks though. But you know what, the past doesn't matter! There are millions of single people who all had loads of failed relationships, you just keep trying and see what comes along
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.