Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    400mL of 0.2M aqueous solution of NaOH was mixed with 300mL of 0.25M HBr solution. Is the resulting solution acidic or basic? Calculate molar concentrations of all ions in this solution. Ignore self-dissociation of water.

So first I did,

HBr + NaOH --> NaBr + H20

0.075 moles of HBr reacts with 0.08 moles of NaOH.
    Since NaOH is the limiting reagent, following 1:1 ratio, 0.075 moles of NaBr and H2O are produced.

Water doesn't affect the pH, HBr is gone, so Im left with either NaOH or NaBr to determine the pH value. Which one do I choose?

ReputationRep:
    HBr is the limiting agent because there’s less moles of it. So you use what’s left of the NaOH to calculate the pH
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Calculate the final concntration of OH-.
    Then use the ionic product of water to find the H+ concentration; and from that the pH.

I have written in more detail how to use the ionic product of water here http://alevelchemistrytuition.co.uk/...duct-of-water/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TutorsChemistry)
    Calculate the final concntration of OH-.
    Then use the ionic product of water to find the H+ concentration; and from that the pH.

I have written in more detail how to use the ionic product of water here http://alevelchemistrytuition.co.uk/...duct-of-water/
    Regarding this question, if I did the following would I be correct:

0.075x1000/700= Concentration

-log[concentration] = ph

And as its the first time im going over a limiting reagent, is it the one that is not in excess so has reacted fully?
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 16, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.