GCSE Physics Help Watch

Sam.T.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello, does anyone know the difference between a motor,generator,dynamo & alternator, as I get confused on how they work.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thank You.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sam.T.)
Hello, does anyone know the difference between a motor,generator,dynamo & alternator, as I get confused on how they work.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thank You.
Generator, alternator and dynamo all convert kinetic energy by rotating a coil within a magnetic field to produce current.

A dynamo produces a direct current with the use of a mechanical commutator.

An alternator produces alternating current.

A generator can be either d.c. or a.c. dependent on type

Motors produce rotational kinetic energy from a current flowing through a coil placed in a magnetic field.

Motors can work with either a.c. or d.c. dependent on type.
Last edited by uberteknik; 7 months ago
Sam.T.
Rep:
?
(Original post by uberteknik)
Generator, alternator and dynamo all convert kinetic energy by rotating a coil within a magnetic field to produce current.

A dynamo produces a direct current with the use of a mechanical commutator.

An alternator produces alternating current.

A generator can be either d.c. or a.c. dependent on type

Motors produce rotational kinetic energy from a current flowing through a coil placed in a magnetic field.

Motors can work with either a.c. or d.c. dependent on type.
Thank You, just one Question, What’s the difference between AC and DC,as how does the current suddenly change direction(I know one is alternating and direct)
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sam.T.)
Thank You, just one Question, What’s the difference between AC and DC,as how does the current suddenly change direction(I know one is alternating and direct)
Direct Current flows in one direction only in a conductor. Batteries are d.c. The voltage polarity is always the same.

Alternating current flows in both directions (back and forth) in a conductor. The voltage polarity alternates.

Take a look at these (ancient) films. They may be old, but they explain the principles very well. Soz.

The second film goes into more detail with motors and generators (useful for A2 level) and does not do a any harm to take them in. You do not need the equations for GCSE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FehUCQKKRwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpL0joqJmqY
Sam.T.
Rep:
?
(Original post by uberteknik)
Direct Current flows in one direction only in a conductor. Batteries are d.c. The voltage polarity is always the same.

Alternating current flows in both directions (back and forth) in a conductor. The voltage polarity alternates.

Take a look at these (ancient) films. They may be old, but they explain the principles very well. Soz.

The second film goes into more detail with motors and generators (useful for A2 level) and does not do a any harm to take them in. You do not need the equations for GCSE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FehUCQKKRwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpL0joqJmqY
Thank You

It cleared that up
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (653)
91.07%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (64)
8.93%

Watched Threads