Turn on thread page Beta

Why guy friend never admits who his girlfriend is? watch

I have a really close guy friend who has been in a relationship with another girl the moment we first met. From the very first time we met each other, he casually mentioned about his girlfriend which I was completely fine with.
    Next day, we hanged out for a bit but he had to leave after because he was going out with a 'friend'. I saw who that friend was as I was about to return home because she came over to wait for my guy friend and we said hi. The thing is my guy friend introduced her to me by her name instead of "this is my girlfriend". I was right to suspect that that was his girlfriend and there was no harm saying it, so why didn't he?
    So basically after that incident, it seems that he always hiding about his plans with his girlfriend to me (e.g. sometimes saying he can't hang out "for reasons") or at least doesn't want me to make a connection that his girlfriend was the girl I just met. And I know he's hiding it from me because a number of times when we were hanging out with other friends, he'd admit that he has to do something with his girlfriend (even though he says it quite hesitantly because I'm in his presence).
    Other times have also been when he'd show me pictures of his friends (some of whom are girls) on his phone gallery but would suddenly skip the ones with his girlfriend. If he doesn't want to say that she is his girlfriend, why doesn't he pass her off as another friend again?
    I don't know if I should suspect whether he likes me because he's only described me as a "really good friend". If I'm such a good casual friend, shouldn't he feel comfortable to mention his girlfriend (and point out who she is)? I'm just confused why he'd do that or is this normal?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a really close guy friend who has been in a relationship with another girl the moment we first met. From the very first time we met each other, he casually mentioned about his girlfriend which I was completely fine with.
    Next day, we hanged out for a bit but he had to leave after because he was going out with a 'friend'. I saw who that friend was as I was about to return home because she came over to wait for my guy friend and we said hi. The thing is my guy friend introduced her to me by her name instead of "this is my girlfriend". I was right to suspect that that was his girlfriend and there was no harm saying it, so why didn't he?
    So basically after that incident, it seems that he always hiding about his plans with his girlfriend to me (e.g. sometimes saying he can't hang out "for reasons") or at least doesn't want me to make a connection that his girlfriend was the girl I just met. And I know he's hiding it from me because a number of times when we were hanging out with other friends, he'd admit that he has to do something with his girlfriend (even though he says it quite hesitantly because I'm in his presence).
    Other times have also been when he'd show me pictures of his friends (some of whom are girls) on his phone gallery but would suddenly skip the ones with his girlfriend. If he doesn't want to say that she is his girlfriend, why doesn't he pass her off as another friend again?
    I don't know if I should suspect whether he likes me because he's only described me as a "really good friend". If I'm such a good casual friend, shouldn't he feel comfortable to mention his girlfriend (and point out who she is)? I'm just confused why he'd do that or is this normal?
    It's quite strange that he would do that. Most guys would be more than happy to talk about their girlfriend. I can't see why he would do that unless he doesn't want you to feel uncomfortable in case he felt you liked him but that's unlikely.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    So basically after that incident, it seems that he always hiding about his plans with his girlfriend to me (e.g. sometimes saying he can't hang out "for reasons" or at least doesn't want me to make a connection that his girlfriend was the girl I just met. And I know he's hiding it from me because a number of times when we were hanging out with other friends, he'd admit that he has to do something with his girlfriend (even though he says it quite hesitantly because I'm in his presence).
    Honestly you are wasting your time trying to figure it out. Ask him why or alternatively find out. In any event assume he has a gf. I dont think its worth it. It is still his business, but he can at least give you an answer.

ReputationRep:
    So basically after that incident, it seems that he always hiding about his plans with his girlfriend to me (e.g. sometimes saying he can't hang out "for reasons" or at least doesn't want me to make a connection that his girlfriend was the girl I just met. And I know he's hiding it from me because a number of times when we were hanging out with other friends, he'd admit that he has to do something with his girlfriend (even though he says it quite hesitantly because I'm in his presence).

sounds like he fancies you imo

if someone fancies you they tend to avoid talking about their partner as much as possible.....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.