Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying CertHE Law at the moment in uni and it's the second term and I genuinely can't handle the pressure of this course anymore... To begin with, it was simple and straight forward and now 2 term in, it's like I'm on a totally different course. I go to USW and with it not being a big uni, I can't find any information about the progress of transferring to another course. I don't want to transfer yet, I want to at least finish my first year and then move onto a new course and I don't know the ins and outs of doing that.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by itsamieemarie)
    I'm studying CertHE Law at the moment in uni and it's the second term and I genuinely can't handle the pressure of this course anymore... To begin with, it was simple and straight forward and now 2 term in, it's like I'm on a totally different course. I go to USW and with it not being a big uni, I can't find any information about the progress of transferring to another course. I don't want to transfer yet, I want to at least finish my first year and then move onto a new course and I don't know the ins and outs of doing that.
    Transferring courses within the same university

University policy, indeed departmental policy, will vary but generally the following is true. There are two main times you can transfer internally without having to restart the year.

At the beginning of the year

The exact window will vary, as will the availability and ease of the option as some universities offer this as a promulgated matter of course and others simply make provision for it if a student presents a case for it. Generally, your academic attainment prior to university - A Levels etc - will be the determining factor of whether or not the switch is approved but thee may also be a discussion akin to an informal interview with somebody relevant beforehand.

At the end of the year

Most universities (perhaps all) allow this, but you usually have to meet the same module prerequisites with regards to core modules as other students. For example, if you study course X and choose elective module Y which happens to be the only core module for course Z then in most cases you will be allowed to switch. Most common is people switching from joint honors to one of the two constituent subjects alone as they always satisfy the progression prerequisites with regard to module choice.

Practice may vary massively at some universities and it is always better to call or email them and ask in advance of any binding decisions as obviously the advice your university provides is of far more use to you.

(Source: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1781424)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.