Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'll be starting my first year of Medicine at Oxford next year and I wanted to hear some medic's advice on how they take notes. In my final year of A-level and during lectures that I have attended I would tend to selectively write down what I thought was relevant and most challenging for me to remember.

I would occasionally write down huge blocks of text and then spend ages during revision time trying to decipher what i wrote. With A-level and GCSE this was fine because I had a lot of time. However I realise I may need to be more efficient next year if I want to be able to optimise my time.

I've heard of the Cornell method and wondered if any medics had tried this and whether they found it particularly useful? I'm currently doing some online course and experimenting broadly with note taking but I want to hear what you guys find is the most effective way of taking notes such that you don't need to spend hours trying to decipher your notes.

Thank you!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ecds)
    Hiya, I'll be starting my first year of Medicine at Oxford next year and I wanted to hear some medic's advice on how they take notes. In my final year of A-level and during lectures that I have attended I would tend to selectively write down what I thought was relevant and most challenging for me to remember.

I would occasionally write down huge blocks of text and then spend ages during revision time trying to decipher what i wrote. With A-level and GCSE this was fine because I had a lot of time. However I realise I may need to be more efficient next year if I want to be able to optimise my time.

I've heard of the Cornell method and wondered if any medics had tried this and whether they found it particularly useful? I'm currently doing some online course and experimenting broadly with note taking but I want to hear what you guys find is the most effective way of taking notes such that you don't need to spend hours trying to decipher your notes.

Thank you!
    I think its going to be personal. It seems you are putting some effort into trying different techniques, which is great keep it up. But what works for you might not work for someone else.

Personally, i find that the process of note-making is what helps me. I literally never read old notes i have made. If i want to revise a topic i find a new source on the same thing and make new notes from that instead. I also ensure the syllabus guides my efforts so i don't waste efforts. My main regret is not revisiting topics more often - i think it would have solidified knowledge and increased efficiency.

Always remember - revising smart is better than revising hard. Putting in 3 hours of reading without absorbing anything is a total waste of time, whereas 10 minutes spent committing something to your long term memory is time well spent.

Oxford will be a step up so any increased efficiency you can gain would be very useful. Good luck in your search.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year so I'm still finding my feet but I've found flashcards super super useful (they're a good way of applying these results: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4031794/). My current routine is to make pretty extensive notes on my computer for everything and then make flashcards out of the trickiest bits and review the flashcards using spaced repetition. Before exams I've gone through the flashcards until I know all of them, and also copied all my notes to another document and start going through them deleting everything I know and looking up everything I don't know until I can delete those bits too. This takes probably even less time and effort as it sounds and I was in the top 3% and 4% in our first two exams even though I definitely haven't spent the majority of my time studying so there must be something right to this method!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.