Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right so I do edexcel physics AS level and I’m pretty crap at it to be quite blunt.

We’ve just done our mock exams and I’ve written my final one today: Unit 1 (mechanics) which, as I thought, turned out to be horrible.

In fact, the exam I had written before were units 2 (electricity and waves) & 3 (experiments) which I thought were alright, actually— little did I know that my physics teacher had marked them and gave us back our unit 2 paper which I achieved the high grade of a D on, specifically 56%. Here’s what got me— I lost 5 marks to stress, literally writing things that didn’t make sense or mixing up words and phrases, and the rest I just didn’t know.

I’ve been rethinking my choices for uni courses and all (wanted to do astrophysics or engineering), because I was so stressed after the exam today I broke down in silent tears in the car, as it feels like I’m squeezing from a stone with the effort I’m putting into this.

I know physics a level is hard, but maybe I thought I could do it for some reason. Much as I like it and find it interesting, i simply cannot think outside the box or in original ways hence there are many questions which don’t resonate with me.

Is this a defeatist attitude? Most definitely, though I I’ve constantly been telling myself to look over what I’ve done and understand where I go wrong but that only seems to pay off in similar questions where I regurgitate the information; it just seems like I broke today.

Anyone else having a similar problem or ways to overcome/ improve the situation? My choices for A level are Maths, Physics, ICT and Literature if anyone wanted to know.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by JMroueh)
    Right so I do edexcel physics AS level and I’m pretty crap at it to be quite blunt.

We’ve just done our mock exams and I’ve written my final one today: Unit 1 (mechanics) which, as I thought, turned out to be horrible.

In fact, the exam I had written before were units 2 (electricity and waves) & 3 (experiments) which I thought were alright, actually— little did I know that my physics teacher had marked them and gave us back our unit 2 paper which I achieved the high grade of a D on, specifically 56%. Here’s what got me— I lost 5 marks to stress, literally writing things that didn’t make sense or mixing up words and phrases, and the rest I just didn’t know.

I’ve been rethinking my choices for uni courses and all (wanted to do astrophysics or engineering), because I was so stressed after the exam today I broke down in silent tears in the car, as it feels like I’m squeezing from a stone with the effort I’m putting into this.

I know physics a level is hard, but maybe I thought I could do it for some reason. Much as I like it and find it interesting, i simply cannot think outside the box or in original ways hence there are many questions which don’t resonate with me.

Is this a defeatist attitude? Most definitely, though I I’ve constantly been telling myself to look over what I’ve done and understand where I go wrong but that only seems to pay off in similar questions where I regurgitate the information; it just seems like I broke today.

Anyone else having a similar problem or ways to overcome/ improve the situation? My choices for A level are Maths, Physics, ICT and Literature if anyone wanted to know.
    How effectively are you studying? It's not so much about being original but rather ensuring you understand the material being covered and how to apply it. Are you understanding the concepts?

ReputationRep:
    ok dude calm down firstly ... i felt the same way and still do .....the main thing is PAST PAPERS....and basic concept (spec) i mean i got a U in the beginning of the year and now a B and hopefully i can get an A inshallah......u need to also UNDERSTAND it so i would suggest u to use some internet resources, it helped me a lot to understand stuff ....btw same happened to me with maths i got Us and D and broke down crying tht i cant to do this any more because maths aint my subject .....but after working hard on my own i GOT AN A so its all abt hard work not whether its ur sub or not ..... get ur paper and see where u went wrong and dont repeat those mistakes GOODLUCK!

ReputationRep:
    I’m doing past papers, going over class material (I.e notes and question papers my teacher compiles) and making notes on experiments from my book as of right now... I’m trying to understand concepts but they usually don’t make complete sense to me.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.