Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Urgent help with a-level choices watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I am easily subconsciously influenced by what people tell me to do and what others do. I'll see something say that computer science is good at uni and suddenly I want it? My mother wants me to do medicine and due to this idea Im suddenly liking it but I don't know if im liking it for all the good reasons and these past few years I have no passions. I used to love art (I am doing it for a GCSE but i cant be inspired or motivated to do it) and ,reading and i have a small spark/love for literature and philosophy and archaeology. I am also worried about my career but I shouldn't cuz Im too young to be doing that. I think I want to pick, chemistry, biology and english literature and if Medicine ends up being my passions will I still get into UCL or KCL or do they really only take people with maths instead of the english literature I want to take.

I really do enjoy biology. Chemistry is mehhh, I'm excelling in it but I don't know if I love it.

The reason I'm only picking 3 subjects is due to how hard I have heard 4 A-levels is now due to the changes. so any advice or similar experiences do people have?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by durararara)
    So I am easily subconsciously influenced by what people tell me to do and what others do. I'll see something say that computer science is good at uni and suddenly I want it? My mother wants me to do medicine and due to this idea Im suddenly liking it but I don't know if im liking it for all the good reasons and these past few years I have no passions. I used to love art (I am doing it for a GCSE but i cant be inspired or motivated to do it) and ,reading and i have a small spark/love for literature and philosophy and archaeology. I am also worried about my career but I shouldn't cuz Im too young to be doing that. I think I want to pick, chemistry, biology and english literature and if Medicine ends up being my passions will I still get into UCL or KCL or do they really only take people with maths instead of the english literature I want to take.

I really do enjoy biology. Chemistry is mehhh, I'm excelling in it but I don't know if I love it.

The reason I'm only picking 3 subjects is due to how hard I have heard 4 A-levels is now due to the changes. so any advice or similar experiences do people have?
    Hi There,

I certainly think that taking some time to try and figure out your future career may be helpful at this stage and will allow you to take A-level subjects that fit in with your career goals.

Often the best decision is a well-informed decision and by doing some research and exploration into careers this might really help you pick your A-level subjects.

If you do decide to pursue Medicine, Biology and Chemistry are important subjects and it will depend on the University you are applying with as to whether or not they need to have Mathematics but many don't have this as a requirement.

If you would like to start exploring your career options our service is here to help and you can chat to an adviser through our website -

https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home

You might also find this Career Quiz by SACU useful as a starting point - http://sacu-student.com/

Best of luck!

Sophie - National Careers Service

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.