• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Europeans are great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    Because a few members felt left out when I made a "celebrate Africans" thread, I've decided to make this one.
    Nobody needs to be told to celebrate Europeans. European achievement is all around us. If they had a problem with you celebrating Africans, that's their inadequacy showing.

Increasingly, since the 20th century, there has been quite a shift as to what we know call European!
    Not really.

The concept of a European changed much more during the colonial era, and of course when the Russian Tsar got Russia included into the common understanding of Europe.

If you are referring to mass immigration, that is increasingly opposed in most of Europe. Besides, we already historically had large non-white populations in Europe - such as the muslims in Spain.

Here are some of the ethnic groups I'll discuss in this thread!
    • Balto-Slavic
    • Romance
    • Germanic
    • Iranic
    • Celtic
    • and Indo-Aryan

This sounds like a 4chan race theory thread, except with the twist that half the images of "Europeans" are half-black (which makes it a bit confusing about what you are trying to show with the images of people).

If you wanted to be thorough, I challenge you to write about the Roma people (gypsies), who are often excluded, but have been in Europe for millenia.

1. The Romance Peoples

Latin became the dominant native language in continental Western Europe.

Latin also exerted a strong influence in southeastern Britain.
    How can you talk about the Romance Peoples without at least a cursory nod at the Roman Empire, the Renaisance, the Spanish Empire, or Catholocism?

2. The Genetics of the Romance Peoples

The majority of Romance people share heritage with Northern Africans.

A recent study concluded that the most frequently occurring haplogroup found in Italians was the Semitic "J" Y-DnA which evolved from the expansion of the Middle East.

You may want to research about Assyria and the Ottoman Empire!
    Again, what you are doing is really odd.

And I don't know what your sources are, but in Italy, the most common y-haplogroup is R1b, the same as in most of Western Europe.

http://www.transpacificproject.com/w...-World-Map.jpg

This did indeed originate from the Middle East, because that is where the European peoples came to Europe from.

They are mainly represented by the Y-DNA haplogroup R1B which is also found in many sub-saharan Africans (in higher percentages).
    Uhh... what are your sources?

Haplogroup R1B is far more common in Western Europe than Africa.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...28Y-DNA%29.PNG

3. The significance of Germanic people

They are responsible for the introduction of Christianity to the modern world! Many Germanic people have gone on conquests around the world as missionaries.

They created racism. Some historians believe that racism came when the Germanic people started to determine their influence in Europe. The first accounts of racism happened against those from the Catacombs in Eastern Europe.

A Germanic person is also for the murder of 11 million innocent Jews, disabled and ethnic minorities who may have been their own but shared different religious beliefs.

The Germanic people have asserted their superiority since and are responsible for the colonial efforts in Africa, the invasion of Australia and the destruction of the Permanent Indian frontier in recent times.

Here are pictures of the very diverse group of Germanic people.
    (Last picture is of a mixed-race Germanic and Sub-saharan African)
    This is just so weird.

The Germanic peoples did not spread Christianity to the world nearly as forcefully as the Romantics (the Spanish and Portuguese).

The Germanics did not "create racism". That is just so ridiculous that I'm not going to bother expanding on it.

And what about a cursory nod to exploration (Vikings, spaceflight, landing on the moon), science (I get that there are too many achievements to list, but you could pick a couple, such as fertilizers and quantum mechanics), tech (computers, the internet), if something as mundane as fashion is apparently noteworthy?

ReputationRep:

They created racism. Some historians believe that racism came when the Germanic people started to determine their influence in Europe. The first accounts of racism happened against those from the Catacombs in Eastern Europe.

A Germanic person is also for the murder of 11 million innocent Jews, disabled and ethnic minorities who may have been their own but shared different religious beliefs.

This led to the creation of UNESCO, and also the UNDHR following the tragedies.

The Germanic people have asserted their superiority since and are responsible for the colonial efforts in Africa, the invasion of Australia and the destruction of the Permanent Indian frontier in recent times.
    They created racism.
    Blatantly false, aristotle called all non greeks slaves, plenty of cultures and nationalities have considered other races inferior before Germany was even a thing or it was more than a few tribes.

You say since is that since ww2? if not Germany is not responsible for colonial efforts in Africa, Portugal and Spain and to blame at first certainly not Germany. They did not invade Austrialia, that was Britain. The destruction of the Permanent frontier was not the Germans it was the Americans (you could argue that they are a large mix of Europeans)
    Same with christianity, you could argue it was protestantism but certainly not christianity

I hope this is a bad joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)

You say since is that since ww2? if not Germany is not responsible for colonial efforts in Africa, Portugal and Spain and to blame at first certainly not Germany. They did not invade Austrialia, that was Britain. The destruction of the Permanent frontier was not the Germans it was the Americans (you could argue that they are a large mix of Europeans)

I hope this is a bad joke
    She is actually talking about the Germanic people, which includes the English and most Americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerHumboldt)
    Nobody needs to be told to celebrate Europeans. European achievement is all around us. If they had a problem with you celebrating Africans, that's their inadequacy showing.

Not really.

The concept of a European changed much more during the colonial era, and of course when the Russian Tsar got Russia included into the common understanding of Europe.

If you are referring to mass immigration, that is increasingly opposed in most of Europe. Besides, we already historically had large non-white populations in Europe - such as the muslims in Spain.

[/list]
    This sounds like a 4chan race theory thread, except with the twist that half the images of "Europeans" are half-black (which makes it a bit confusing about what you are trying to show with the images of people).

If you wanted to be thorough, I challenge you to write about the Roma people (gypsies), who are often excluded, but have been in Europe for millenia.

How can you talk about the Romance Peoples without at least a cursory nod at the Roman Empire, the Renaisance, the Spanish Empire, or Catholocism?

And I don't know what your sources are, but in Italy, the most common y-haplogroup is R1b, the same as in most of Western Europe.

This did indeed originate from the Middle East, because that is where the European peoples came to Europe from.

This is just so weird.

The Germanic peoples did not spread Christianity to the world nearly as forcefully as the Romantics (the Spanish and Portuguese).

The Germanics did not "create racism". That is just so ridiculous that I'm not going to bother expanding on it.
    You beat me to it by about 20 seconds

ReputationRep:
    She is actually talking about the Germanic people, which includes the English and most Americans.
    Even so his comments about Africa, the frontier (in a way it could be argued) and christianity are still totally wrong

ReputationRep:

Not really.

[/list]

This is just so weird.

The haplogroup R1B is more present in Western Europe yes.
    But a higher percentage is seen in Central Africa. Over 90% of central Africans have this. While about 40% of Western Europeans do. This is the majority for most western european countries as they have a mixture of haplogroups within them.
    The majority for them is 40-60%
    Majority for CA etc is about 90%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    thanks for the good intention

however, we "Europeans" (however we may be defined), don't need to celebrate our achievements : they are quite well known already

however, paradoxically, our greatest achievement is that we have, especially in the last 60 years or so, developed a very healthy, critical outlook on our own history, which includes also failures and "dark pages"

to be frank, this is - in my view - by far our greatest achievement, which many other cultures are still very far from approaching...

best
    I enjoyed that last point. Fair.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Even so his comments about Africa, the frontier (in a way it could be argued) and christianity are still totally wrong
    oh snap

ReputationRep:
    Both the 'Just Celebrating Africa!' threads got axed noooooo
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    What was happening in them? I was doing irl things, did I miss out on drama? :holmes:
    Not much, just that for a moment both the threads were locked, but now they're not
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by k.n.h.)
    Both the 'Just Celebrating Africa!' threads got axed noooooo
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    What was happening in them? I was doing irl things, did I miss out on drama? :holmes:
    The thread is still up guys. One was deleted because it was a duplicate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    The thread is still up guys. One was deleted because it was a duplicate
    Nah, the duplicate was locked because it was a copy as you said, but then it was unlocked again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.n.h.)
    Not much, just that for a moment both the threads were locked, but now they're not
    Ah okay. I noticed one in my watched that was started by that floral chick, but it says bin now so :dontknow:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.