Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are British schools really 'out of control'? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Or are my teachers preaching gobsmack rubbish?

I live in Northern Ireland and throughout my schooling years I have been told that what we have is better than schools in England & Wales (nothing is mentioned about Scotland), including how we are more disciplined, we have higher standards of education and better results overall. My junior school French teacher did tell us about apparent shortages, mentioning how her friend was offered a head of department role after training in a school in Manchester.

Budget cuts have made the news recently, and many friends of mine currently living in Great Britian have complained about how their schools have gone downhill in terms of funding, discipline and overall standard of teaching (many have told me they don't feel like they are getting proper help with their GCSEs and the recent changes have made it worse).

Anything I watch about schools in England and Wales (Educating Cardiff for example) just seems to show a lot of teens fighting and getting put into isolation, but they also show bright kids who are doing amazingly well at school and have brilliant futures ahead of them, showing another side of reality.

I don't really know much about it but from what I have heard, it doesn't sound good. Now it's down to you. Have my teachers just been using it as a method of making us thankful for what we have and to work harder? Do you honestly believe in/agree with the statement of British schools being out of control, or do you think it is complete and utter rubbish?

(I would love it if some statistics were available to see! I have tried to find some to include them in this but I don't feel they are good enough.)

ReputationRep:
    I can only talk from personal experience but 90% of my time in secondary school was pretty much spent listening to teachers shouting at the people that never bothered to do anything.Teachers couldn't control behaviour so many felt like this was a pass for them to do whatever they wanted.

I had teachers that didn't bother finishing the GCSE course, never marked work (unless Ofsted were due a visit), would turn up late to lessons or would spent half of it in the staff room. I felt like a lot of students there just didn't care and saw school as a place where they could hang out with their friends for 6 hours (but with teaching so dire I couldn't really blame them).

I did have 2 or 3 incredibly supportive teachers whilst there though so it wasn't all bad :rolleyes:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by JedEmily)
    Small point: Northern Ireland is also British

And no, on average schools aren't out of control or significantly different on the mainland compared to NI. That can vary somewhat by school though.

A-level and GCSE results may be higher in NI but not that much higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JedEmily)

I live in Northern Ireland and throughout my schooling years I have been told that what we have is better than schools in England & Wales (nothing is mentioned about Scotland), including how we are more disciplined, we have higher standards of education and better results overall. My junior school French teacher did tell us about apparent shortages, mentioning how her friend was offered a head of department role after training in a school in Manchester.

Budget cuts have made the news recently, and many friends of mine currently living in Great Britian have complained about how their schools have gone downhill in terms of funding, discipline and overall standard of teaching (many have told me they don't feel like they are getting proper help with their GCSEs and the recent changes have made it worse).

Anything I watch about schools in England and Wales (Educating Cardiff for example) just seems to show a lot of teens fighting and getting put into isolation, but they also show bright kids who are doing amazingly well at school and have brilliant futures ahead of them, showing another side of reality.

I don't really know much about it but from what I have heard, it doesn't sound good. Now it's down to you. Have my teachers just been using it as a method of making us thankful for what we have and to work harder? Do you honestly believe in/agree with the statement of British schools being out of control, or do you think it is complete and utter rubbish?

(I would love it if some statistics were available to see! I have tried to find some to include them in this but I don't feel they are good enough.)
    given that we still have grammar school that could mean that students do better on average
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_man_conor)
    given that we still have grammar school that could mean that students do better on average
    Nah. Students in grammar schools do better but students not in grammar schools do worse. On average students in comprehensive schools do better than students on average in two tier schools.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.