The Student Room Group

Depression and Struggling

I am depressed at the fact that ever since August i have been struggling with myself at the fact i couldn't go to College or Sixth Form.I massively regret not applying to any,as i knew my GCSE Results were poor which i was proved correct.I have been struggling at the thought that my Life is over now and i will be stuck in a dead end job,hating life and living the rest of my life with deep regret and guilt.I dont know what to do with my life

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really need help and advice,i cant continue like this,my head is all over the place
Hiya,
I really feel for you - I was in a similar situation. I ended up taking a year out after my GCSE’s . I was put on antidepressants because my mood was so low.
I think the most important thing right now is to focus on yourself and try and look at the future positively (I know this is so hard right now, but this feeling is only temporary)
As I was beginning to feel better, I took chances and applied to every 6th form and college in my area, I sent personal emails to every individual place explaining my situation but how motivated etc I was. I actually got a response from all my emails - all asking me to come in so I could look at the school/college etc. Even if you get offered to retake your GCSE’s at college then it’s a step forward, and they will explain how you can develop further etc afterwards.
I’m now at the end of my a levels, and have 2 unconditional offers despite this - I would have never of even thought this had happened 2 years ago - I was so down and didn’t even want to go back to school
I hope this helps - good luck ❤️
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya,
I really feel for you - I was in a similar situation. I ended up taking a year out after my GCSE’s . I was put on antidepressants because my mood was so low.
I think the most important thing right now is to focus on yourself and try and look at the future positively (I know this is so hard right now, but this feeling is only temporary)
As I was beginning to feel better, I took chances and applied to every 6th form and college in my area, I sent personal emails to every individual place explaining my situation but how motivated etc I was. I actually got a response from all my emails - all asking me to come in so I could look at the school/college etc. Even if you get offered to retake your GCSE’s at college then it’s a step forward, and they will explain how you can develop further etc afterwards.
I’m now at the end of my a levels, and have 2 unconditional offers despite this - I would have never of even thought this had happened 2 years ago - I was so down and didn’t even want to go back to school
I hope this helps - good luck ❤️

My GCSE grades are garbage,I have no legit explanation to why i didnt apply for Sixth Forms last year.I dont want to do Apprentships,so A Levels are my only option.I'm going to be with people who are fresh out of School,i wont know anyone,People who are younger than me.I just hate my life with a passion,to add further i dont even know if they accept 17 Year Olds in Year 12.I'll be 19 by the time i leave Sixth Form.I always have regrets and guilt of wasting a year,and the sad thing is if i had applied last august i would have been with a couple of my friends.
(edited 6 years ago)
That’s how I felt - I was 17 turning 18 when I started 6th form - but honestly after a couple weeks you don’t even notice !! Honestly I don’t even regard my friends as the year below because I didn’t know them before. I’m 19 now and they are all turning 18, I’m going to be 20 in my first year of university, But it doesn’t bother me now. Honestly the concept seems so much worse than the actual situation - I knew no one at all but now I have a good group of friends, although I’m not as close as them as I am with my friends in my own year, they are still so lovely. I regretted going back a year for a while, but now I’m so so happy I did, I’m going to get better grades and I get to learn from the mistakes my friends made in the year above. Have you spoke to anyone about how you’re feeling?
Also, you don’t need to explain to schools and colleges why you didn’t apply last year. Just do it and act as if you haven’t! Obviously they’ll know you have but I doubt they’d pay much attention to that as long as you said you are ‘highly motivated’ and ‘determined to succeed’ = things they are looking for in a student.
Reply 6
Original post by Hollie9399
Also, you don’t need to explain to schools and colleges why you didn’t apply last year. Just do it and act as if you haven’t! Obviously they’ll know you have but I doubt they’d pay much attention to that as long as you said you are ‘highly motivated’ and ‘determined to succeed’ = things they are looking for in a student.

My GCSE Grades are garbage though,will their be a chance of any people resitting their AS Levels.
Reply 7

Will i be able to even get in as i have poor GCSE grades.Surely the current Year 11's will be given piority
All you can do is try! If you apply sooner than later, they will make a space before the others get their result. You should be able to go there unconditionally if they give you a space because Year 11’s results aren’t out until August
I think you’ll be surprised how well schools etc make allowances
Reply 9
All you can do is try! If you apply sooner than later, they will make a space before the others get their result. You should be able to go there unconditionally if they give you a space because Year 11’s results aren’t out until August
I think you’ll be surprised how well schools etc make allowances

Will their be people who are resitting their AS Year Again.I cant stand the thought of being a loner and being with people who are not the same age as me.A Wasted Year,I wasted me being 16.
Original post by Anonymous
Will their be people who are resitting their AS Year Again.I cant stand the thought of being a loner and being with people who are not the same age as me.A Wasted Year,I wasted me being 16.

I think you should just go for it and apply to some colleges. Your age really won’t matter, especially at college as there will be people who are one and two years older than the year group! Please don’t let this hold you back. Like the previous user, I also repeated a year at a different sixth form and I’m doing so much better, both academically and mentally. Yes there will be people retaking AS and also people in your position who have taken a year out/are repeating.

You’ve got your whole life ahead of you, and being held back a year won’t make a very big difference. It’s much more important to get the qualifications you need to get to where you want to be.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by okurr123
I think you should just go for it and apply to some colleges. Your age really won’t matter, especially at college as there will be people who are one and two years older than the year group! Please don’t let this hold you back. Like the previous user, I also repeated a year at a different sixth form and I’m doing so much better, both academically and mentally. Yes there will be people retaking AS and also people in your position who have taken a year out/are repeating.

You’ve got your whole life ahead of you, and being held back a year won’t make a very big difference. It’s much more important to get the qualifications you need to get to where you want to be.

This is Sixth Form not College so i think the Age Gap will play a part given i am going to be intergrated to a extent with School Children.Also My GCSE Grades aren't the best, how do i persuade them to let me in.
Original post by okurr123

^ advice on this
There could be, you never know - but you won’t think of them as a year below when you spend every day with them! Honestly it’s nothing to worry about :smile:
There could be, you never know - but you won’t think of them as a year below when you spend every day with them! Honestly it’s nothing to worry about :smile:

Again,will i be allowed a place given i have poor GCSE results and they will surely ask what i was doing for a Year ?? I have no Legit Explanation for that.

^ advice on the above
Reply 16
As long as you have Cs or equivalent in about 5 subjects you can apply to most sixthforms
What are your results if you don’t mind me asking? As long as your grades for the a levels you want to study are alright it should be fine. If you went to college instead of 6th form then you could retake them
Also, I do not know whether you’ll get a place it’s up to the place you’re applying to.
What are your results if you don’t mind me asking? As long as your grades for the a levels you want to study are alright it should be fine. If you went to college instead of 6th form then you could retake them

Garbage,i know i could do better as i was not focused and had mental issues,it's no excuse though.The Main Subjects,Grade 3 at Maths,Grade 4 at English Lit and Lan.

Quick Reply

Latest