Turn on thread page Beta

Depression and Struggling watch

Announcements

(Original post by Hollie9399)
    Also, I do not know whether you’ll get a place it’s up to the place you’re applying to.
    That is the trouble i find myself in,if i do not get accepted into that Sixth Form.I dont know what to do,it feels like i've wasted my life.I certainly have wasted close to a Year doing nothing.

(Original post by Hollie9399)
    Also, I do not know whether you’ll get a place it’s up to the place you’re applying to.
    ^ advice on the above

ReputationRep:
    Dude, life is too long to be worried about starting uni one year late: there are people there who will start when they are 22, no one cares really about the age difference.
    The truth is, if you don't get a move on now, the tooth fairy won't come to save you from your bed at home: do the A levels you want to do, retake those GCSEs on that year (you are absolutely allowed to do that) which you know you can do better.

Next year, when you look back at yourself this year, preparing for your exams in a new college, you will feel like a distant memory: that's the cool thing about life, that it is a constant process of discovering the person we will be tomorrow, in a month or in a year. Embrace that feeling of excitement at meeting the person you are, and apply now.

(Original post by tremen222)
    Dude, life is too long to be worried about starting uni one year late: there are people there who will start when they are 22, no one cares really about the age difference.
    The truth is, if you don't get a move on now, the tooth fairy won't come to save you from your bed at home: do the A levels you want to do, retake those GCSEs on that year (you are absolutely allowed to do that) which you know you can do better.

Next year, when you look back at yourself this year, preparing for your exams in a new college, you will feel like a distant memory: that's the cool thing about life, that it is a constant process of discovering the person we will be tomorrow, in a month or in a year. Embrace that feeling of excitement at meeting the person you are, and apply now.
    * Sixth Form.I am worried and very anxious about what lies ahead,As i said will i be accepted with the GCSE Grades i have.Also, if i dont get accepted i dont know what to do.If i do get accepted what do i do until September comes around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    * Sixth Form.I am worried and very anxious about what lies ahead,As i said will i be accepted with the GCSE Grades i have.Also, if i dont get accepted i dont know what to do.If i do get accepted what do i do until September comes around.
    You won't know if you'll get accepted unless you try, that's for sure
    Until September, it'd be good to have a look at the GCSEs you are wanting to re-take and the A-levels you have chosen to do. It is also a time to read good books about topics that interest you, to think about your career choices, to look for experience on the career field you have chosen, to read around that field. You might also want to begin thinking about an EPQ topic you might want to do, should you be interested in doing one.

It is also a time to possibly write an article for a magazine or enter an essay competition: just anything that can get you back into the academic way of life, I suppose. Maybe do some volunteering, to keep your mind busy and your body outside of home: schools for children with profound mental illness always need carers and volunteers. Maybe go watch lectures on topics relating to your future career, and build up a good deal of experiences to write about in your personal statement and make yourself attractive to universities.

It is normal to be worried about your future, it's something that won't ever go away, but that uncertainty is just a part of life: seize it as it comes. Without anxiety and uncertainty, you would not think your decisions matter.

You won't know if you'll get accepted unless you try, that's for sure
    Until September, it'd be good to have a look at the GCSEs you are wanting to re-take and the A-levels you have chosen to do. It is also a time to read good books about topics that interest you, to think about your career choices, to look for experience on the career field you have chosen, to read around that field. You might also want to begin thinking about an EPQ topic you might want to do, should you be interested in doing one.

It is also a time to possibly write an article for a magazine or enter an essay competition: just anything that can get you back into the academic way of life, I suppose. Maybe do some volunteering, to keep your mind busy and your body outside of home: schools for children with profound mental illness always need carers and volunteers. Maybe go watch lectures on topics relating to your future career, and build up a good deal of experiences to write about in your personal statement and make yourself attractive to universities.

It is normal to be worried about your future, it's something that won't ever go away, but that uncertainty is just a part of life: seize it as it comes. Without anxiety and uncertainty, you would not think your decisions matter.
    And if i dont get accepted,which i believe is the more likely scenario, what the hell do i do then ?

ReputationRep:
    And if i dont get accepted,which i believe is the more likely scenario, what the hell do i do then ?
    First you stop assuming you won't get accepted.
    Then, if it happens, you re apply to take your GCSEs: you can do this independently, with a tutor or on your own: http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...ate-candidates
    In fact, you should try to take them this year if you have time, get good grades and get accepted into a sixth form college this way.

If you really don't like this idea, then you will have to take an apprenticeship and build your life from there, entering into a corporate program or something of the sort. Alternatively, if you have the money, another option is going to a different country and giving it a try on the system there, which won't take your GCSEs into account.

First you stop assuming you won't get accepted.
    Then, if it happens, you re apply to take your GCSEs: you can do this independently, with a tutor or on your own: http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...ate-candidates
    In fact, you should try to take them this year if you have time, get good grades and get accepted into a sixth form college this way.

If you really don't like this idea, then you will have to take an apprenticeship and build your life from there, entering into a corporate program or something of the sort. Alternatively, if you have the money, another option is going to a different country and giving it a try on the system there, which won't take your GCSEs into account.
    I just feel like i've wasted a Year doing absolutely nothing,and if i dont get into a Sixth Form my life is in serious trouble.

ReputationRep:
    I just feel like i've wasted a Year doing absolutely nothing,and if i dont get into a Sixth Form my life is in serious trouble.
    What's clear is that you can't get a year back, so it might be best to start doing something about it.
    If you don't get into a sixth form this year, the world won't end, most of the people in the planet haven't gone to a sixth form and do just fine, you'll just have to be creative. Don't try to go at it alone either, find yourself a careers/youth counsellor to help you find opportunities.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.