Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What factors affect whether you're accepted for a course change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archipelaglobule)
    I'm considering asking to change to PPE (post-A levels) - my offer is for a completely unrelated subject. None of my current A2 subjects are essay subjects, so I'm considering the possibility of doing an AS in English Lit, and am looking for some advice.

A few specific questions:

1) Can someone who's done English Lit tell me how difficult the course is/how much the workload would be? I'd be doing it independently (no lessons) but I have very high grades in all my GCSE and AS subjects.

2) To what extent would Oxford care if I were to do an AS? Would it be a factor in considering whether or not to allow me to make the course change?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Perhaps I'm a bit dense - I am not sure I understand your situation:

- you've done your A levels?
    - you've had an offer for entry this year?
    - you no longer want to accept this offer, but would like them to switch it to a place on the PPE course (or possibly E&M - which you posted about a few days ago). In any case, you want to do a course which is "completely different" to the subject they have offered you?
    - you have done no essay based A levels to date, but wonder if it would be useful to complete a self-taught AS in Eng Lit this summer?

Is that right?

EDIT: As you already know from previous answers, you have a better chance of switching to a closely related course, and this may be an option only once you have started at Oxford

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'm afraid I've got no useful specific information for you, but it's unlikely that you could make a major change like - oh, I don't know - from Japanese to E&M without exceptional circumstances that you would need to discuss directly with the Admissions Tutors. After all, they've offered you a place as a student of the subject you applied for, not because they like you as a person (delightful as you no doubt are).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.