Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What factors affect whether you're accepted for a course change?

(Original post by archipelaglobule)
    I'm considering asking to change to PPE (post-A levels) - my offer is for a completely unrelated subject. None of my current A2 subjects are essay subjects, so I'm considering the possibility of doing an AS in English Lit, and am looking for some advice.

A few specific questions:

1) Can someone who's done English Lit tell me how difficult the course is/how much the workload would be? I'd be doing it independently (no lessons) but I have very high grades in all my GCSE and AS subjects.

2) To what extent would Oxford care if I were to do an AS? Would it be a factor in considering whether or not to allow me to make the course change?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Perhaps I'm a bit dense - I am not sure I understand your situation:

- you've done your A levels?
    - you've had an offer for entry this year?
    - you no longer want to accept this offer, but would like them to switch it to a place on the PPE course (or possibly E&M - which you posted about a few days ago). In any case, you want to do a course which is "completely different" to the subject they have offered you?
    - you have done no essay based A levels to date, but wonder if it would be useful to complete a self-taught AS in Eng Lit this summer?

Is that right?

EDIT: As you already know from previous answers, you have a better chance of switching to a closely related course, and this may be an option only once you have started at Oxford

Thanks. I'm afraid I've got no useful specific information for you, but it's unlikely that you could make a major change like - oh, I don't know - from Japanese to E&M without exceptional circumstances that you would need to discuss directly with the Admissions Tutors. After all, they've offered you a place as a student of the subject you applied for, not because they like you as a person (delightful as you no doubt are).
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.