Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Economics Applications - Work Experience. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Dear All,

I am planning to apply for economics at university; I don't have too many connections so organising a work experience is going to be quite hard. Do any of you know what work experience would be good for economics applications and where/how to apply for them. ANY input would be very helpful. Thanks everyone.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by HiArjiv)
    Dear All,

I am planning to apply for economics at university; I don't have too many connections so organising a work experience is going to be quite hard. Do any of you know what work experience would be good for economics applications and where/how to apply for them. ANY input would be very helpful. Thanks everyone.
    Banks, tax office, any business. You just need to get the applications out there.

You can also just be well read.

ReputationRep:
    Dear All,

Economics isn't a vocational degree, work experience is great but won't be the most important part of your application. If you're struggling for work experience, you may as well just spend time reading around the subject, entering essay competitions etc.

ReputationRep:
    Dear All,

Hi! I'm also an economics student and economics doesn't really require work experience in order to apply to study it at Uni. If you're concerned about your personal statement, applying to essay competitions helps, you don't need to win or anything, applying shows your determination and resolve!

If you're still in your first year of A-levels, appying to do an Extended Project Qualification in economics is also helpful. I did an EPQ essay on the effect geopolitics has on global economies and it was the only economics related 'experience' I had, yet I still got all offers.

I do think that reading a lot about the subject is very beneficial though, the Economist, Prisoners of Geography and the Silk Road are all really good reads on economics! If you're not into reading, there are also lots of good movies on economics and documentaries that would also be helpful, such as The Big short, Stealing Africa and the Rogue trader. The big short and boom bust boom are on netflix!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.