Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm reading my bio book, it says the first division is reduction division, so cells go from diploid to haploid. I then read on and it says the second division produces four haploid cells, but if it divides twice doesn't that produce 1/4. I thought that it might be that it replicates before dividing the second time, but it doesn't mention it anywhere, I'm so confused??

ReputationRep:
    The first division goes from diploid to haploid because each of the daughter cells has half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell; 1 chromosome from each homologous pair.

The second division also produces haploid cells because it isn't homologous pairs that are splitting, it's the chromosomes themselves. The 2 chromatids that make up a chromosome split and become 2 independent chromosomes, so the daughter cells have the same number of chromosomes as the parent cell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daddy Dagoth)
    The first division goes from diploid to haploid because each of the daughter cells has half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell; 1 chromosome from each homologous pair.

The second division also produces haploid cells because it isn't homologous pairs that are splitting, it's the chromosomes themselves. The 2 chromatids that make up a chromosome split and become 2 independent chromosomes, so the daughter cells have the same number of chromosomes as the parent cell.
    I see, so chromosomes in the four cells are made from 1 chromatid, while chromosomes in the two cells are made of 2 chromatids, but because they have the same number of chromosomes they are both haploid. Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Seeing it visually might help you to understand it better https://youtu.be/2z4XFGgvkkg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilingWombat)
    Seeing it visually might help you to understand it better https://youtu.be/2z4XFGgvkkg
    I've actually been looking for a video like that, finally! Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad it helped you. I was struggling to get my head around meiosis and found it helped to explain it very well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 18, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.