Turn on thread page Beta

To take or to not take parents? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you take parents to applicant open days/ uni open days or not? In my opinion I don’t think it really matters as much it’s nice to get a second opinion however it’d be interesting to see what other people’s opinions are on this though. ☺️
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljcrisp)
    Do you take parents to applicant open days/ uni open days or not? In my opinion I don’t think it really matters as much it’s nice to get a second opinion however it’d be interesting to see what other people’s opinions are on this though. ☺️
    I went alone to all of my open days and I quite enjoyed it to be honest. It was nice in a sense to not have my parents passing their judgements and potentially affecting my decisions. However, it is also nice to go with someone in the sense that you do have someone to chat to about what they think and what you think and it’s just nice to spend the day together!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wouldnt, parents are just embarrasing

ReputationRep:
    most people go with parents. but do what's best for you. you won't look strange or childish or anything for having them there. so it's up to you if you want them there really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljcrisp)
    most people go with their parents. i didn't and i was fine

ReputationRep:
    It depends how you think you parents will act- will they pass judgement and try to convince you to go to one place or will they let you make you own choice?
    When I was going to uni open days I went to some on my own and some with my Mum.

I noticed that when I was alone I was more likely to engage in conversation with faculty members and ask questions about the course. But when I went with my Mum it was nice to have some company at lunch time and on the journey. It was good because my Mum isn't the type of parent to think I should be doing a particular course or going to a particular uni so she was just there as company and because she wanted to see what universities were like. Many people go with their parents and I think as long as you stick to making your own decisions (doesn't mean you have to agree or disagree with your parents, just do what feels right) then an opinion from your mum and/or dad can be useful

ReputationRep:
    you can if you want, some people do and some don't. it doesn't matter either way as the end choice will be yours

i just took mine so that i could get a lift to each place

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.