Turn on thread page Beta

Google removes "View Image" from image search watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/15/1...search-results

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43085053

What?! Why!? Googleee

Apparently it's to stop people from stealing images (fairs) but sucks for me because it's hard for me to get images at work otherwise due to our high security and lots of filtered ways of doing stuff

(I honestly thought my browser was glitched or something this morning xD)

ReputationRep:
    yeah its annoying, but if you want to post a pic or gif just right click on the pic and select copy image address, that usually works.

ReputationRep:
    An incredibly stupid move on their part. Makes it so much harder to view full size images.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)
    yeah its annoying, but if you want to post a pic or gif just right click on the pic and select copy image address, that usually works.
    Yeah luckily that works for some still but for certain types of images or even some gif sites it makes it either really hard to obtain through a workaround or impossible

Again for most it shouldn't be too awful but at work it is the worst

(Original post by Unown Uzer)
    An incredibly stupid move on their part. Makes it so much harder to view full size images.
    I can understand why they did it but it's been around for so long and people have been using these images so much that I don't see the point in doing it now xD It's not all exactly artwork haha

But even something like this gif below I have to now open up the tenor site and scroll down to find it and then copy the url link

ReputationRep:
    It's alright

ReputationRep:
    blame getty
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Hate it. Writing a script to nib image url and add the button back right now.

Can right click and view image if wanted but nahhhh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaintedLight)
    It's alright
    It probably is after a while but for now we must make as much drama and exaggeration as possible! :bawling::cry2::cry:

(Original post by gr8wizard10)
    blame getty
    Stupid gettyyy!!!:shakecane:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Hate it. Writing a script to nib image url and add the button back right now.
    Me too! This feeling I haven't had since I worked with software that didn't even have an undo button! What were they even thinkingg!?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Kraggor)
    Me too! This feeling I haven't had since I worked with software that didn't even have an undo button! What were they even thinkingg!?
    Because god forbid some media giant doesn't have a user visit their website before copying an image :facepalm2: A better solution would be an opt out scheme for websites which you can put in a file to say no direct linking, much like the robots.txt for web crawlers...

ReputationRep:
    Hahhaha, on Firefox, you can literally just right click "View image" and it will take you to the full res pic.

ReputationRep:
    Opera uses right-click --> "open image in new tab" which seems to be working just fine.

ReputationRep:
    right click save image as on chrome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Because god forbid some media giant doesn't have a user visit their website before copying an image :facepalm2: A better solution would be an opt out scheme for websites which you can put in a file to say no direct linking, much like the robots.txt for web crawlers...
    Haha it's so true though! Go and send a letter or better yet stomp up to their head offices and give them your all! I'm sure they will pay you loads for the fantastic ideas

(Original post by Notoriety)
    Hahhaha, on Firefox, you can literally just right click "View image" and it will take you to the full res pic.
    Firefox? :yucky:

(Original post by Palmyra)
    Opera uses right-click --> "open image in new tab" which seems to be working just fine.
    Opera?:yucky:

(Original post by sdotd)
    right click save image as on chrome
    Again this works sometimes but only for certain sites where the image came from. Otherwise our works security is tight on other stuff so can't get download them :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kraggor)
    Haha it's so true though! Go and send a letter or better yet stomp up to their head offices and give them your all! I'm sure they will pay you loads for the fantastic ideas

Firefox? :yucky:

Opera?:yucky:

Again this works sometimes but only for certain sites where the image came from. Otherwise our works security is tight on other stuff so can't get download them :sad:

Or just use the snipping tool which should be standard on windows computers
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tech AngryJellyfish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdotd)
    Or just use the snipping tool which should be standard on windows computers
    I do for the images I need but can't download/url copy now but main problem is gifs They are so much harder to find now sigh
    At home it's fine. It's just in the work place xD

(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Tech AngryJellyfish?
    Baaaaaa

ReputationRep:
    https://i.imgur.com/GI85gMf.gif

ReputationRep:
    Right Click, open image in new tab OR get a chrome extension that adds it back in. There's a couple already that are easy to find 👍.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliverEverard)
    Right Click, open image in new tab OR get a chrome extension that adds it back in. There's a couple already that are easy to find 👍.
    Once again xD It's easy at home but in a high security company it's impossible xD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.