Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Good PC? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for a good PC, it needs to able to handle video editing as well as Microsoft office, and basic web browsing. Does anyone know any PC's that can handle this? My budget is around £600. Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Benjybum100)
    I am looking for a good PC, it needs to able to handle video editing as well as Microsoft office, and basic web browsing. Does anyone know any PC's that can handle this? My budget is around £600. Thanks
    Laptop or desktop? You are going to get more for your money if its a desktop. I think you need to ask in the tech forum and theres a template you can fill out that helps people know what you are looking for.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hey there!

Just tagging AngryJellyfish to get this moved to the Technology and computers forum.

If you're wanting a laptop, then fill out this form: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/for...o=form&fid=142

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go for a laptop as they won't be as good. Also if you want a really good PC mine cost £750 to build at home.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Does that £600 include the display and peripherals or just the computer itself? Are you willing to build it yourself or do you want something pre-built?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for so many replies. I will add this post to the technology forum, I am looking for a desktop PC. The £600 budget would ideally include monitor and peripherals but I am willing to increase the budget if I need to. I like the all in one (AIO) computers but not sure if they would be powerful enough. I am using this for relatively advanced video editing so need quite a powerful machine, (8GB RAM, 2-3GHz processor. Just want to know if you can recommend anything that fits the description. Also I am not really prepared to build my own so looking for pre-built models. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    £600 for the PC and monitor? I can't see that happening if you want a decent PC with plenty of power.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What do you think would be the minimum price for a good PC. It doesn't need to be amazingly powerful, just capable of handling video editing, Microsoft office, and web browsing. These are the kind of specs I am looking for:
    1) intel i3 OR Intel i5 CPU
    2) 8GB RAM
    3) 1TB storage

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for so many replies. I will add this post to the technology forum, I am looking for a desktop PC. The £600 budget would ideally include monitor and peripherals but I am willing to increase the budget if I need to. I like the all in one (AIO) computers but not sure if they would be powerful enough. I am using this for relatively advanced video editing so need quite a powerful machine, (8GB RAM, 2-3GHz processor. Just want to know if you can recommend anything that fits the description. Also I am not really prepared to build my own so looking for pre-built models. Thanks
    Don't get an AiO, you won't get your money's worth when you buy it and you'll have less resale value when you sell it.

If nobody else has suggested a decent prebuilt by the time I get home tonight I'll hunt something down.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    What sort of software are you using for video editing? Different software require different hardware requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using hitfilm 4 express, it has roughly the same requirements as Adobe premiere.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using hitfilm 4 express, it has roughly the same requirements as Adobe premiere.
    Looking at the requirements for Hitfilm, a dedicated Video Card seems to be the way forward in terms of performance as well as at least 4 cores. Hitfilm recommends 8GB of RAM minimum but recommend 12GB - 16GB. For £600 - including the monitor and peripherals, you aren't going to get that. At this price you're looking at an i5 with an integrated GPU. Integrated GPU's are very basic which are designed to output a user interface on your computer screen and not much else. You'd also be looking at 8GB of RAM which may be fine.

This video explains things very well although ignore the fact that he says get an Intel CPU as AMD have recently come out with a brilliant lineup of CPU's which should actually be better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWFGg9R0m64

Looking around, this one seems to be an option https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...64878-pdt.html

It will probably run it alright but it may struggle with anything beyond basic. If I could recommend anything else, it would be - if you have the time - waiting for these chips to come out into the pre-built market https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-2400g

They have integrated GPU's which are much better than Intel ones and the number of threads exceeds that 7400 making it more powerful not to mention it's cheaper. Currently, they are only available to people who want to build computers but they should come to pre-built systems sooner or later.

Do note with that pre-built system I mentioned, I'm assuming the extra £100 I didn't spend went to the monitor, mouse/keyboard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 152mmOfDerp)
    Looking at the requirements for Hitfilm, a dedicated Video Card seems to be the way forward in terms of performance as well as at least 4 cores. Hitfilm recommends 8GB of RAM minimum but recommend 12GB - 16GB. For £600 - including the monitor and peripherals, you aren't going to get that. At this price you're looking at an i5 with an integrated GPU. Integrated GPU's are very basic which are designed to output a user interface on your computer screen and not much else. You'd also be looking at 8GB of RAM which may be fine.

This video explains things very well although ignore the fact that he says get an Intel CPU as AMD have recently come out with a brilliant lineup of CPU's which should actually be better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWFGg9R0m64

Looking around, this one seems to be an option https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...64878-pdt.html

It will probably run it alright but it may struggle with anything beyond basic. If I could recommend anything else, it would be - if you have the time - waiting for these chips to come out into the pre-built market https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-2400g

They have integrated GPU's which are much better than Intel ones and the number of threads exceeds that 7400 making it more powerful not to mention it's cheaper. Currently, they are only available to people who want to build computers but they should come to pre-built systems sooner or later.

Do note with that pre-built system I mentioned, I'm assuming the extra £100 I didn't spend went to the monitor, mouse/keyboard

Thanks so much for all the info, I am probably going to go with the pre-built PC you sent me. It would be nice to build my own but I don't have the budget or knowledge to build something with my requirements yet.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for all the info, I am probably going to go with the pre-built PC you sent me. It would be nice to build my own but I don't have the budget or knowledge to build something with my requirements yet.
    Thanks
    I should note, however, that if you built the PC, it would probably be cheaper and last longer than the pre built I sent you (mainly because most OEM’s do skip ok quite a few parts). I’ve found a lot of pre-builds which my parents have bought inexplicably face issues, particularly with the Power Supplies being a bit troublesome.

You’d also be surprised at how easy it is to assemble a PC. Most of the parts are relatively hard to break if you’re clumsy and it is just a case of slotting things and screwing them in. The only tool required is a screwdriver and your hands.

Performance wise, it will end up being quite a bit more powerful (graphics are looking to be around twice as powerful).

In the end, it ultimately comes down to your decision and if you do change your mind, some of us can provide a list of parts which you would just assemble yourself.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.