The Student Room Group

Can I still get all A’s and A*’s if I start revising now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Kushala Daora
I got an 8 in maths last year and I thought I'd get a 6.

I did this by repetitively doing practice questions.

Go to mathsgenie and physicsandmathstutor. These websites are full of questions, keep at it until you can do them in your sleep. Good luck.

is the physicsandmathtutor only a-level?
Reply 41
Original post by cj_sS
I'm doing quite similar to you and i think it's deffo possible - with a bit of hard work of course. These are the grades i got in my last set of mocks.
Maths - 7
Eng lang -6 (2 marks off a 7)
Eng lit - 5
Science trilogy 5-5
Computer science - 4
Spanish - 6
Business - B
I'm starting revision soon, stay in contact and we can track each others progress to keep us motivated :smile:

may i ask how you study for Spanish because I'm also doing it for gcse:smile:
yes but make sure your revision is effective
Reply 43
Original post by miss_ambitious
may i ask how you study for Spanish because I'm also doing it for gcse:smile:

have a look at memrise - it's great and has helped me lots :smile:
Original post by Somtochi
My brother got all B's and C's last year in his mocks and after february half term he didn't stop revising. He revised 3-6 hours on school nighs and 6-14 hours on weekends every single day. By the time exam came around he wasn't even stressed, because he was so confident he knew everything. He came out with 6 A*'s and 3 9's. With GCSE it's very possible to do well if you start now. Not so much with A level, so don't make the same mistake then and start from day 1! Good-Luck man!

I’m also in a similar situation. My mocks end on February the 26th February, and from the 27th Feb I’m actually going to try revise and put as much hard work as I can. Normally, when I go to sleep I always think that there isn’t enough time but this just motivated me, thank you so much. I really want to try and get a 7 in maths and Science but the papers I’ve sat so far, I think I got a 5 :frown: . Need at least a 6 in science and maths to study a science at sixth form which is what I’m working towards. Hope I actually start proper revision because I keep saying to my self I will but I end up getting distracted.
(edited 6 years ago)
Definitely! I literally only started to ‘seriously’ revise from late-March/April and I got 7A* 1A and a B (but that was in textiles, a non-revision subject) so you have nothing to worry about. Just remember to revise extra hard and always check the syllabus to see if you know absolutely everything it details.. also past papers are your best friends!
Reply 46
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
It is possible but stop going on TSR and asking that, when you could be actually doing it

TBH this inspired me to start working
thank
Original post by zmwxkhr
TBH this inspired me to start working
thank

Hi,

And in what way did my post inspire you? I was merely pointing out the obvious :biggrin: but its good to hear that it has btw xx
Reply 48
because i needed to work but i was wasting my time on tsr :tongue:
Original post by zmwxkhr
because i needed to work but i was wasting my time on tsr :tongue:

Lol Well Done xx
If only some followed your example and did the same. We wouldnt be having so many 'How do I do well in my GCSE's but I cant focus on revision'
Original post by glitterunicorn78
Hello everyone.
Since half term is almost over and GCSEs are 3 months away from now, do you think there is still time to revise every subject thoroughly? So a little background information, the subjects that I currently take are, the core subjects English Lang, English lit, maths and science (double award, but I still study all three sciences within the course). For my options I chose History, Geography, Religious Studies and Drama. For the last mocks that I did a couple of months ago, I hardly revised for any of them and got grades that I wasn’t particularly happy with. For each subject, I got the following.
Eng Lang - 6
Eng lit- 5
Maths- 5
Science- 5
History- 8
Geography-4
Drama-3 (missed out a whole section of the exam and didn’t submit most of my coursework)
RS-3 (only 2 people in the year passed, the teacher isn’t a very good marker and also the grade boundaries that my school uses are ridiculously high even though we’re the first year to sit the new exams).
Do you think with a lot of revision over the next few months, I can get all 7s, 8s and 9s? Thanks.

I started my revision in easter holidays and continued through till the end of my exams
Reply 51
ye its possible i started revision late april and got 6a* 3a 2b
Hello everyone.
Since half term is almost over and GCSEs are 3 months away from now, do you think there is still time to revise every subject thoroughly? So a little background information, the subjects that I currently take are, the core subjects English Lang, English lit, maths and science (double award, but I still study all three sciences within the course). For my options I chose History, Geography, Religious Studies and Drama. For the last mocks that I did a couple of months ago, I hardly revised for any of them and got grades that I wasn’t particularly happy with. For each subject, I got the following.
Eng Lang - 6
Eng lit- 5
Maths- 5
Science- 5
History- 8
Geography-4
Drama-3 (missed out a whole section of the exam and didn’t submit most of my coursework)
RS-3 (only 2 people in the year passed, the teacher isn’t a very good marker and also the grade boundaries that my school uses are ridiculously high even though we’re the first year to sit the new exams).
Do you think with a lot of revision over the next few months, I can get all 7s, 8s and 9s? Thanks.

Honestly, it isn't late to start working hard now. Talk to your teachers, and work on your weak areas. Find out your favourite revision technique - some people like to design their own cue cards. Use a wide range of resources like Exampro, Savemyexams, Bitesize, and make sure you do lots of past paper practice. I'm yet to do my GCSEs until next year, but if you keep revising effectively, then you'll definitely smash your GCSEs. Good luck!
Original post by HXA97
I’m also in a similar situation. My mocks end on February the 26th February, and from the 27th Feb I’m actually going to try revise and put as much hard work as I can. Normally, when I go to sleep I always think that there isn’t enough time but this just motivated me, thank you so much. I really want to try and get a 7 in maths and Science but the papers I’ve sat so far, I think I got a 5 :frown: . Need at least a 6 in science and maths to study a science at sixth form which is what I’m working towards. Hope I actually start proper revision because I keep saying to my self I will but I end up getting distracted.

That's awesome man! It's only naturally! Hard part is over-coming this procrastination and endless self promises/lies and just doing it! You'll be so happy in the end! Just keep your goal in mind through it all and Good Luck!!
You know you can but are trying to put it off. Don’t. Think of your biggest career goal and go and ace your GCSEs
Hello everyone.
Eng Lang - 6
Eng lit- 5
Maths- 5
Science- 5
History- 8
Geography-4

In my mock I got as follows:
Eng Lit and Lang = 3 *shame shame* :frown:
RS = 8!!! eee!!! I love theology!!!
Geography= 7!!
Maths =6
Food Preparation and Nutrition = 8!!!
Art= 6 (which was the highest anyone got!!!)
Business = A* *I know I know* *Thank you Thank you* *hint hint*
Science double award AQA = 55 (not my fault he gave us the wrong papers!!!!!!!!!)
My brother got all B's and C's last year in his mocks and after february half term he didn't stop revising. He revised 3-6 hours on school nighs and 6-14 hours on weekends every single day. By the time exam came around he wasn't even stressed, because he was so confident he knew everything. He came out with 6 A*'s and 3 9's. With GCSE it's very possible to do well if you start now. Not so much with A level, so don't make the same mistake then and start from day 1! Good-Luck man!

Thanks...Girl
Reply 57

Did he revise with a timetable or did he revise as he went?
Yes it`s possible! You`ll probably be all right as long as you revise in an effective way.

So like highlighting does not help. Reading notes also doesn`t.

Past exams and questions - lots and lots of questions - are the best methods. There are some good websites that provide questions, like Seneca Learning and Quizlet. Definitely worth using them - and they are free!
If you can come up with a timetable where you plan what to study in each day, you`ll be more relaxed and the revision will be more effective.

good luck!
you have more than enough time to revise all of your subjects in detail :smile: good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending