Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American who has been given an unconditional offer to study liberal arts at Kings College London. I would specifically love to focus on philosophy and film studies courses (I know I can only pick one). I was drawn to the program because American schools offer different subjects to study before a major is chosen. Has anyone here gone through the course at Kings or elsewhere? Also, will going through liberal arts result in me receiving a BA in liberal arts? Or in my selected major? It seems as if liberal arts isn't quite as respected, and has lower requirements than some other sections, but it looks like a great option
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by gunnarthor)
    I'm an American who has been given an unconditional offer to study liberal arts at Kings College London. I would specifically love to focus on philosophy and film studies courses (I know I can only pick one). I was drawn to the program because American schools offer different subjects to study before a major is chosen. Has anyone here gone through the course at Kings or elsewhere? Also, will going through liberal arts result in me receiving a BA in liberal arts? Or in my selected major? It seems as if liberal arts isn't quite as respected, and has lower requirements than some other sections, but it looks like a great option
    You can check with your uni what your actual degree will say. I suspect it will be what your honours is in i.e your 'major'. It's a fairly new concept so there aren't many unis doing it.

ReputationRep:
    You'd get a

ReputationRep:
    hey, did you find out what the degree will be called? i have the same doubt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsahg)
    hey, did you find out what the degree will be called? i have the same doubt
    I didn't. I chose to attend St. Andrews, Kings was just too urban for me

ReputationRep:
    from what i understand (still waiting on offers because i applied real late), you get a degree that says "BA in Liberal Arts, Major in _______ and minor in _______."

ReputationRep:
    I didn't. I chose to attend St. Andrews, Kings was just too urban for me
    Yeah to study in King’s you have to be prepare for a cosmopolitan uni! I think this’s amazing and I find that an American would agree with me 🤣
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sutton.m)
    from what i understand (still waiting on offers because i applied real late), you get a degree that says "BA in Liberal Arts, Major in _______ and minor in _______."
    I don’t know much about American HE system, but I know that you gotta a “major” and “minor” there.

However, I’m afraid to tell you here in London it is way too different, you have to chose only one subject and be happy with that lol

Liberal arts might include many subjects anyway, have you taken a look at the programme?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeholl)
    I don’t know much about American HE system, but I know that you gotta a “major” and “minor” there.

However, I’m afraid to tell you here in London it is way too different, you have to chose only one subject and be happy with that lol

Liberal arts might include many subjects anyway, have you taken a look at the programme?

yes, i know it's very different in london, but the BA in liberal arts program at king's is quite unique, and primarily based off of the US model (this is from what i have heard from a student entering his final year in the program-- his diploma will say "BA in Liberal Arts, major in Political Science and minors in geography and philosophy") -- do with this what you will, however. these are the words of one student, and just based on that and what i've read about the program online.

edit: here's a link to the page on the king's website. https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...l-arts-ba.aspx -- what it says is that you select a major and perhaps a minor in the second semester of your first year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sutton.m)
    yes, i know it's very different in london, but the BA in liberal arts program at king's is quite unique, and primarily based off of the US model (this is from what i have heard from a student entering his final year in the program-- his diploma will say "BA in Liberal Arts, major in Political Science and minors in geography and philosophy" -- do with this what you will, however. these are the words of one student, and just based on that and what i've read about the program online.

edit: here's a link to the page on the king's website. https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...l-arts-ba.aspx -- what it says is that you select a major and perhaps a minor in the second semester of your first year
    I think you mixed up meanings of terms. Look at this: "You will then choose from a wide range of optional modules before selecting a major for years two and three, enabling you to tailor the degree to your own interests".

"at the beginning of the second semester of your first year you will select a major subject, which will be the main focus of your study in your second and third year."

There's no mention a "minor" in any part of the text.

The guy who told you that there will be a minor and major in your certificate may be right, I've never taken a degree in your course, but I'm pretty sure that he's wrong. Be that as it may, your course sounds incredibly interesting anyway.

Let me know when you come, let's take a beer mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeholl)
    I think you mixed up meanings of terms. Look at this: "You will then choose from a wide range of optional modules before selecting a major for years two and three, enabling you to tailor the degree to your own interests".

"at the beginning of the second semester of your first year you will select a major subject, which will be the main focus of your study in your second and third year."

There's no mention a "minor" in any part of the text.

The guy who told you that there will be a minor and major in your certificate may be right, I've never taken a degree in your course, but I'm pretty sure that he's wrong. Be that as it may, your course sounds incredibly interesting anyway.

Let me know when you come, let's take a beer mate!
    i'm quite certain about the minor! i know i've read it, perhaps in the prospectus, but don't care to search for it again. but i don't particularly care either way-- the program is excellent with or without minors.

i'll let you know! sounds good to me.

EDIT: i also believe that, assuming they exist, the minors are optional. but you have the potential to get one, seeing as there's more than enough time to obtain the required amount of credits for one.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who is doing Liberal Arts at Kings, I just had a quick question. Could you please tell me about the general assessment methods? Are there generally more examinations than coursework or more coursework than exams?

Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. King's College London
    Arts and Humanities (Strand Campus) Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.