Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi this is an economics question!
    I’m just confused about the difference between normal profits and break-even point.
    My guess is that you get normal profits when AC=AR at the sales maximising point.
    Break-even point occurs when TR=TC. Is that correct?
    Also any other useful info on this topic would be greatly appreciated 👍
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose24)
    Hi this is an economics question!
    I’m just confused about the difference between normal profits and break-even point.
    My guess is that you get normal profits when AC=AR at the sales maximising point.
    Break-even point occurs when TR=TC. Is that correct?
    Also any other useful info on this topic would be greatly appreciated 👍
    It’s the same thing

ReputationRep:
    The break even point is when total costs is equal to total revenue. So you are neither losing money nor gaining money. Profit is when your total revenue is higher than your total costs so you are gaining more money than what you are losing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cj_sS)
    The break even point is when total costs is equal to total revenue. So you are neither losing money nor gaining money. Profit is when your total revenue is higher than your total costs so you are gaining more money than what you are losing.
    He asked about normal profit not profit, normal profit is just the same thing as break even point you are operating at the minimum level required to stay in the industry so you aren’t making a loss or a profit

ReputationRep:
    Normal profit = zero economic profit or you are operating at minimum average total cost

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers!

ReputationRep:
    They are both the same, just different terms. For economist, it is normal profit and for an accountant it is break-even point.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.