Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,I have recently been asked to provide an academic reference from one of my chosen universities. However, i was withdrawn from my previous university and I don't know if they will provide me with a reference and if they do, I don't think it will be a good reference.Any suggestions? Should I still request for a reference or just withdraw my application - I have already got an offer from my first uni choice.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by CassieDee)
    Hi everyone,I have recently been asked to provide an academic reference from one of my chosen universities. However, i was withdrawn from my previous university and I don't know if they will provide me with a reference and if they do, I don't think it will be a good reference.Any suggestions? Should I still request for a reference or just withdraw my application - I have already got an offer from my first uni choice.
    Talk to your ex personal tutor or an adviser at the SU.
    Then make an informal enquiry to admissions. You cant hide the fact you were at the other uni? Did you have good reasons for being withdrawn?

You can use your own main referee as well.

Nothing to lose from just clarifying what they want and their response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Talk to your ex personal tutor or an adviser at the SU.
    Then make an informal enquiry to admissions. You cant hide the fact you were at the other uni? Did you have good reasons for being withdrawn?

You can use your own main referee as well.

Nothing to lose from just clarifying what they want and their response.
    Thanks for your reply.

I will take your advise and contact an advisor. I can't hide the fact that I was at the other uni because I stated that I was in my personal statement and I also stated the fact that I was withdrawn too. I got withdrawn for poor grades, so I doubt they will have a glowing reference to give me.

The Uni already has a reference from my manager but they require an additional academic reference. I did state that I was withdrawn in my personal statement - if they read it, so hopefully if I do get an academic reference it would correlate with the story told on my personal statement.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by CassieDee)
    Thanks for your reply.

I will take your advise and contact an advisor. I can't hide the fact that I was at the other uni because I stated that I was in my personal statement and I also stated the fact that I was withdrawn too. I got withdrawn for poor grades, so I doubt they will have a glowing reference to give me.

The Uni already has a reference from my manager but they require an additional academic reference. I did state that I was withdrawn in my personal statement - if they read it, so hopefully if I do get an academic reference it would correlate with the story told on my personal statement.
    Just talk informally with admissions and explain your concerns. I wouldnt have mentioned being withdrawn in the PS.

The defences you can use are:

1. The course wasnt for you.
    2. You either had mental health or family issues. Depression, anxiety, difficulty adjusting to this particular uni.
    3. Are your A levels ok? At least meet the standards they look for?

Maybe what they want is to check you werent withdrawn for things like cheating? That may be their only concern.

You also need to check that as you were withdrawn for poor grades, then this will not happen again and you shouldnt return to uni until you know you are ready. You will not get another chance of financing, so dont waste it. Get yourself sorted out.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.