Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 have recently got a 2016 BMW 116D M Sport for my first car, is it any good for a first car? The insurance quote that i have got on it with a black box is £1800. I have my driving test soon so hopefully i'll be able to drive soon.

Name:  c23bc47c-86c5-4d2f-a2d8-d4d72c0c2a4c.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  38.6 KBAttachment 725406725408
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    it looks very nice.

:auto:

ReputationRep:
    What do you want me to say?

Have a medal? It's ****?

As far as I'm concerned it's just another over-priced, over-hyped german mass production car that people buy to just seem cooler than they really ought to.

A car is a car these days; unless it does something exceptional, or has features that make it worth someone's time over just a mere runnabout it's a load of ****.

Get a classic car and then we'll talk
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jack210)
    I'm 17 have recently got a 2016 BMW 116D M Sport for my first car, is it any good for a first car? The insurance quote that i have got on it with a black box is £1800. I have my driving test soon so hopefully i'll be able to drive soon.

Jack of all trades. 😁

It is incredibly nice though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Pretty nice car for a first time driver, is that insurance quote as a provisional or with a full license though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Pretty nice car for a first time driver, is that insurance quote as a provisional or with a full license though?
    It's with a provisional license, but when i filled in the details, i filled it in as if i hold a full license, i didn't put my license number in

ReputationRep:
    why waste a decent car with a black box
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    it's average. i had a porsche when i was your age

ReputationRep:
    It's with a provisional license
    Run a quote with a full license and I promise you it'll look a lot different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheConfusedMedic)
    why waste a decent car with a black box
    I'm going to keep the car for 3-4 years and i'll have a black box only for the first year

ReputationRep:
    Run a quote with a full license and I promise you it'll look a lot different
    Basically i ran the qoute as follows:

Policy holder will be my mum who drives another car and has 3 years no claim discount.

I will be additional driver ~ i said that i hold a full license for under a month even though i have not passed yet (i did this to see how much it'll cost once i have passed)

I will also be the main driver

ReputationRep:

tbh that is a silly first car i can see that car appearing on autotrader marked class c when someone has gone it you or you have gone into someone then all that money has gone down the drain

ReputationRep:
    Basically i ran the qoute as follows:

Policy holder will be my mum who drives another car and has 3 years no claim discount.

I will be additional driver ~ i said that i hold a full license for under a month even though i have not passed yet (i did this to see how much it'll cost once i have passed)

I will also be the main driver
    How can you be both the main driver and an additional driver? If your mother is the main driver it's called fronting and it's illegal, not to mention would completely invalidate your insurance if you got into an accident

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damn daniel yeah)
    tbh that is a silly first car i can see that car appearing on autotrader marked class c when someone has gone it you or you have gone into someone then all that money has gone down the drain
    I didn't get it on autotrader, i'm confused as to what you're trying to say?
    My cousins are in the car business so i got the car pretty cheap as to what it would normally cost
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I wouldn't have such a flashy car myself if I was your age, as the chances of crashing in the 1st year of driving is 1 in 5. But it certainly is a nice car.

Can I ask, why you didn't just go for a car every 17 year old goes for, such as a, cheaper to insure, Corsa or Fiesta?

ReputationRep:
    My cousins are in the car business so i got the car pretty cheap as to what it would normally cost
    im saying a teenage having that is asking for an accident

ReputationRep:
    He's trying to say you will wreck it and it'll end up being sold as scrap...

ReputationRep:
    How can you be both the main driver and an additional driver? If your mother is the main driver it's called fronting and it's illegal, not to mention would completely invalidate your insurance if you got into an accident
    The policy will be on my mother's name and i will be the additional driver on the policy and the website that i got my quote on asked who will be the main driver out of me and my mum, i selected my name and the insurance came to 1800

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    I wouldn't have such a flashy car myself if I was your age, as the chances of crashing in the 1st year of driving is 1 in 5. But it certainly is a nice car.

Can I ask, why you didn't just go for a car every 17 year old goes for, such as a, cheaper to insure, Corsa or Fiesta?
    It was a gift from my mum, and i realise the chances of crashing are high, but hopefully i'll drive it sensibly and safely and will be able to avoid a crash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damn daniel yeah)
    im saying a teenage having that is asking for an accident
    Oh i see, hopefully i won't crash, I'm going to very careful in the way i drive

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 2, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.