Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would really appreciate your opinions on my dilemma:

I'm currently at uni studying Chemical Engineering, and seeing how others are struggling to find graduate jobs. A search of the job boards also do not yield many listings.

I'm also not enjoying the amount of mathematics in the course. I knew there would be maths but not quite to this extent.

So I'm considering leaving and switching to Computer science - job prospects over there seem more plentiful and the course itself is less "intensive".

Has anyone had similar considerations, have any insight into the job market, etc? Is it really as bad as it seems?

ReputationRep:
    There is an oversupply of engineering graduates in general and chemical is the worst for it.
    Percent of grads employed after 6 months is about 59% and of those, about 65% are employed as engineers (not necessarily chemical engineers). Dunno what the comp sci market is like.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Where did you find those statics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtaskeen)
    Where did you find those statics?
    Engineering UK 2017 report
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    There is an oversupply of engineering graduates in general and chemical is the worst for it.
    Percent of grads employed after 6 months is about 59% and of those, about 65% are employed as engineers (not necessarily chemical engineers). Dunno what the comp sci market is like.
    I don't know anyone who actually works in chemical engineering, whereas I know quite a few people in IT and they don't struggle to find jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DW4518)
    Would really appreciate your opinions on my dilemma:

I'm currently at uni studying Chemical Engineering, and seeing how others are struggling to find graduate jobs. A search of the job boards also do not yield many listings.

I'm also not enjoying the amount of mathematics in the course. I knew there would be maths but not quite to this extent.

So I'm considering leaving and switching to Computer science - job prospects over there seem more plentiful and the course itself is less "intensive".

Has anyone had similar considerations, have any insight into the job market, etc? Is it really as bad as it seems?
    You can still do jobs that comp Sci graduate do with an engineering degree, as most graduate jobs won't require a specific subject to be taken at degree level (e.g. Software dev). Its the same in Finance and in Sales industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    You can still do jobs that comp Sci graduate do with an engineering degree, as most graduate jobs won't require a specific subject to be taken at degree level (e.g. Software dev). Its the same in Finance and in Sales industry.
    that's true, but won't I be at a significant disadvantage compared to other applicants with a relevant degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DW4518)
    that's true, but won't I be at a significant disadvantage compared to other applicants with a relevant degree?
    no. finish your degree. yes it will be horrible and you'll want to quit but hopefully that'll equip you with some life experience to just power through things.

you'll be surprised at how versatile engineering graduates are.

hopefully this teachers you a lesson; did you have a solid career plan before applying to university?

ReputationRep:
    Ummm computer science also has alot of maths

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.