Turn on thread page Beta

What's your favourite decade for music? watch

• View Poll Results: What is your favourite decade for music?
    50s (or earlier)
    0%
    60s
    0%
    70s
    12.50%
    80s
    29.17%
    90s
    8.33%
    00s
    29.17%
    10s
    20.83%

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if you ever had to pick a favourite decade for music what would it be?

Now you may have a favourite period that goes over two different decades e.g. 2005-2015, but if you had to pick one decade from which you could listen to music to only. i.e. you were alone of a desert island for 6 months and had to take a decade of music, what would it be?

We haven't finished this decade yet, 8 years into it, but I've decided to include it anyway. I have to say I do find it strange though when I see millennials listen to 20th century music, it's not their era, it doesn't define them, they were never adults during that time but each to their own.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    80s had a bit of everything Pink, Rock, Mods, New Romantics, Power ballads.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Either 00's or 10's. Im struggling to decide which.
    90's would have to be in third.

ReputationRep:
    70s I guess.

(Original post by Sharpshooter)
    We haven't finished this decade yet, 8 years into it, but I've decided to include it anyway. I have to say I do find it strange though when I see millennials listen to 20th century music, it's not their era, it doesn't define them, they were never adults during that time but each to their own.
    I find it strange that you find it strange.

Do you also find it strange when they watch films from the 20th century or read books written then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    70s I guess.

I find it strange that you find it strange.

Do you also find it strange when they watch films from the 20th century or read books written then?
    Not particularly, just usually when people pick favourite eras for movies and music they tend to pick the eras they grew up, and so songs from a certain date will mean more to someone who was experiencing a particular important event at their life at that very point. No biggie though, just curious.

ReputationRep:
    I basicly listen to mainly pre 00s music. Even know I wasnt born before 00s.

ReputationRep:
    00’s

ReputationRep:
    90s
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    2005 was the year of all years tbh

ReputationRep:
    Not the 2010s. No way.

All the others, even the 00s, had very good moments. But the 00s good monents were largely due to artists who'd started in previous decades.

The 80s was a strangely intense time. Margaret Thatcher really cast a shadow over a sense of there ever being a state interest in community any more. The music, atmospheric, eerie to a gothic kind of level in a pop way, often reflected this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiindling)
    2005 was the year of all years tbh
    What was notable about 2005?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    80s

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.