Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,I got accepted at the University of Essex to study MA Theory and Practice of Human Rights. I am really excited because I have meticulously read all the modules of the specific program and I found all of them very interesting. However, I have also applied at the London School of Economics University and I am in two minds. As I read, Essex has a very strong programme when it comes to Human Rights and it also has the Human Rights Clinic. I would really appreciate it if you could give me your advice. How are classes of Human Rights at the University of Essex? What do you think I should choose?Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajana22)
    Hello,I got accepted at the University of Essex to study MA Theory and Practice of Human Rights. I am really excited because I have meticulously read all the modules of the specific program and I found all of them very interesting. However, I have also applied at the London School of Economics University and I am in two minds. As I read, Essex has a very strong programme when it comes to Human Rights and it also has the Human Rights Clinic. I would really appreciate it if you could give me your advice. How are classes of Human Rights at the University of Essex? What do you think I should choose?Thank you in advance!
    Are you joking? It's a choice between one of the best universities in the country and the world (LSE), or an average at a push university (Essex).

ReputationRep:
    Essex is the best university in the country for human rights and the Human Rights Centre there is internationally renowned. Many employees in the UN and NGOs studied at Essex - demonstrating the respectability of the HRC. I know this as I did my undergrad at Essex; we went on a field trip to Geneva and met numerous Essex graduates working at the UN and NGOs such as ICRC.

I have a friend that did her masters in Human Rights at LSE and went on to do her PhD at Essex. She very much preferred Essex to LSE. This is someone highly academic who recognised that the number on the league table of your uni is not enough for your career.

I would without a doubt go for a university based on its strengths for my subject rather than the ambiguous and arbitrary ranking in the league table. This is why I chose to study at Essex rather than an RG. If you want a career in Human Rights then an Essex degree will be the best option for you. I can’t speak for LSE, but you’ll also have the option to go on field trips like I did and network with some amazing professionals in the field.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your valuable opinion. I have already accepted the offer of Essex! I can't wait! Greetings from Greece!

(Original post by oneironaut)
    Essex is the best university in the country for human rights and the Human Rights Centre there is internationally renowned. Many employees in the UN and NGOs studied at Essex - demonstrating the respectability of the HRC. I know this as I did my undergrad at Essex; we went on a field trip to Geneva and met numerous Essex graduates working at the UN and NGOs such as ICRC.

I have a friend that did her masters in Human Rights at LSE and went on to do her PhD at Essex. She very much preferred Essex to LSE. This is someone highly academic who recognised that the number on the league table of your uni is not enough for your career.

I would without a doubt go for a university based on its strengths for my subject rather than the ambiguous and arbitrary ranking in the league table. This is why I chose to study at Essex rather than an RG. If you want a career in Human Rights then an Essex degree will be the best option for you. I can’t speak for LSE, but you’ll also have the option to go on field trips like I did and network with some amazing professionals in the field.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your valuable opinion. I have already accepted the offer of Essex! I can't wait! Greetings from Greece!
    You’re welcome! I’m glad you found it useful and hope you enjoy your time there. The lecturers really are fantastic and the uni has a great atmosphere.

Even though you’ve already confirmed I’ll just add a couple of other things which I forgot to say. Students who went on those field trips I mentioned have gone on to get internships/jobs at the UN and the NGOs as a result of networking on the trips. Also, the Essex Interns service is excellent and partnered with lots of human rights NGO’s, so as an Essex student/graduate you’ll be able to apply for those positions which aren’t advertised elsewhere! Best of luck and I hope you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I wish you the best!

You’re welcome! I’m glad you found it useful and hope you enjoy your time there. The lecturers really are fantastic and the uni has a great atmosphere.

Even though you’ve already confirmed I’ll just add a couple of other things which I forgot to say. Students who went on those field trips I mentioned have gone on to get internships/jobs at the UN and the NGOs as a result of networking on the trips. Also, the Essex Interns service is excellent and partnered with lots of human rights NGO’s, so as an Essex student/graduate you’ll be able to apply for those positions which aren’t advertised elsewhere! Best of luck and I hope you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, did you look at UCL for human rights? if so, what did you think?

ReputationRep:
    It was very difficult for me to make a decision. At first I was thinking of studying at King's College London (I was made an offer). However, before you decide to live in London, you have to take the financial situation of your family into consideration. It is also of crucial importance to delve deep into each university and decide whether or not you like the program they offer. My big passion is Human Rights and I have researched a lot the universities that are offering this program. I think that Essex has the most interesting courses when it comes to Human Rights and it is very well known in the world of NGOs. UCL is in the top 10 of universities (very well known around the world) if I am not mistaken and it is also situated in London. I just took a look at the courses they offer regarding Human Rights and I think they are extremely interesting. If you want a vivid life full of action and you don't have to deal with any financial issues, then London is for you. If you prefer a more quiet life (but still with many students around), then Essex is for you (only 60-80 minutes long from London). Hope it helps!

(Original post by LilyLouise2)
    Hello, did you look at UCL for human rights? if so, what did you think?

ReputationRep:
    It was very difficult for me to make a decision. At first I was thinking of studying at King's College London (I was made an offer). However, before you decide to live in London, you have to take the financial situation of your family into consideration. It is also of crucial importance to delve deep into each university and decide whether or not you like the program they offer. My big passion is Human Rights and I have researched a lot the universities that are offering this program. I think that Essex has the most interesting courses when it comes to Human Rights and it is very well known in the world of NGOs. UCL is in the top 10 of universities (very well known around the world) if I am not mistaken and it is also situated in London. I just took a look at the courses they offer regarding Human Rights and I think they are extremely interesting. If you want a vivid life full of action and you don't have to deal with any financial issues, then London is for you. If you prefer a more quiet life (but still with many students around), then Essex is for you (only 60-80 minutes long from London). Hope it helps!
    Hi Dajana,

Thank you! I am particularly interested in refugee rights. I live in the outskirts of London, so I would probably commute Thanks for your time!

ReputationRep:
    LSE is still better in almost all aspects anyway so I still think you should take this into consideration

ReputationRep:

Hello!

I am from India and I have few offers as well for the LLM Human Rights program, including those at University of York and Essex. I know you highly recommend Essex. But what do you know about York? The program at York also has a 2 week internship/project work as a part of their module. Please suggest!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think leaving the ECHR is going have that much of an impact on human rights/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.