Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey just wondering if someone could help me on English literature essay structure because that tends to be my main problem ,and i over complicate my ideas. MAJOR help needed how to make my essays concise??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by chanuli)
    MAJOR help needed how to make my essays concise??
    It's impossible to actually give advice without seeing some work as an example (and it's not a good idea to post your work online) but if you want to make your essays more concise, the general solution is to just get to the point.

Cut out superfluous words and phrases. You've probably be given some sort of reference model to use, such as "Point Evidence Explanation" or similar. As dumb as it sounds if you need to make your essay more concise and not "over complicated" then quite simply you need to write concisely and not over complicate things. If you have a point, make that point. Don't then go off on a tangent point unless it's relevant and feeds well into your essay.

When you're writing about something, you'll have a point that you're trying to make. Determine how it is you will make that point, the evidence you will use, etc. then write it. Make your point and move on. With the above PEE model, pick a point, pick some evidence, write an explanation. Don't then pick some more evidence and some more explanation and some more evidence and so on. Stop when you've made your point.

The irony in this answer; it can be simplified down. Make a point and move on, cut out the superfluous stuff.

ReputationRep:
    P-Point
    E-Evidence
    E-explain/analyse evidence
    E-(dont't have to)but expand that quote, pick on little words and what the convey
    L-Link it to the wider meaning, like adding contextual evidence to back up your point and what it conveys. However, you could in turn link the point to a different quote in that same theme and then repeat the same process.

Write about 3 paragraphs and do that in every paragraph and you'll get near full marks, because you'll be ticking all the assessment objectives! Good-luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much. Its just in english, i have always has that feeling that you need to write like a uni profssor just to get marks but im trying to stop and be sinple in my responses. can you be simple and still get the highest marks?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.