Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was in my senior year of high school when I began to dream of having my own business and becoming my own boss. During that year, I was asked to prepare a presentation about my future career to present to the judges for my senior project. I chose that of entrepreneur, because I had always wanted to have my own business and be my own boss. I was inspired and influenced by my parents, who had the experience of owning their own business. Before coming to Asheboro, they owned a Filipino restaurant called Sarap-Pagkain, located inside a mall. After graduating from high school, I already planned to go to Randolph Community College first for two years, and then move to a university after. Ideally, I wanted to go to Randolph Community College to obtain my associate’s degree in business administration, because I have a passion for leadership and excellent organizational skills. With such a degree, it will be easy for me to find employment as a management trainee in the retail industry, or jump into a role in project coordination or in office management. I decided to pursue business administration because I enjoy the subject, because it is a wide field that incorporates many types of management positions, because I love the idea of having my own business and being my own boss, and because of the influence of my parents.

For instance, I enjoy business administration because it teaches me to be able to write reports, letters, and e-mails, deliver presentation or negotiate deals with customers, and develop my listening skills. Also, business administration courses are all about developing interpersonal skills so that I will feel more confident dealing with people in the workplace in the future. Furthermore, I want to be in the business industry because I want to be just like my parents, and most especially my dad. In today’s world, employers look for an applicant with a thorough knowledge of technology management, sound marketing practices, and accounting. I believe that I am that person who enjoys business principles, interaction and communication with people in an intelligent fashion, and examination or analysis of numbers. These will all be on the pathway when I am studying business administration. The U.S. College Research website reveals that “In the actual core curriculum, business administration students will take both beginning and advanced academic coursework in business strategy, marketing, accounting principles, bookkeeping, sales, taxes, finances, banking, economic indicators, business plan creation and interpretation, and various mathematical theories and formulas” (“What”). This summary reveals to me how involved the profession is.

While it may take a while if I start in entry-level positions, I believe that there is potential to reach high-level management jobs in the business world, such as CEO, CFO, and more, especially my dream of being a business owner. Pursuing business administration will deal with more than just the everyday problems, such as paperwork and accounting, that accompany running a business. For instance, facing some work challenges, such as fitting in, being heard, making mistakes, and managing time will prepare me for higher roles, whether I am new to the workplace or have been in a workplace for a long time. I believe that if I will be working within this field, I will be responsible for assisting a company in managing the daily operations of the business to make sure that it meets its goals and is properly organized and managed. For example, if I started working in a restaurant, such as China Buffet, Golden Corral, or at Red Lobster as a dishwasher, and if I really work hard, have patience, and really want to achieve something, I can be the owner of that restaurant and be successful in life.

As the boss of a business, I would guide it to be both diverse and widespread. I would ensure that the members of the staff are effectively and properly trained, monitor daily operations, and make plans for the business success. When organizational changes are necessary, a person in this position, such as a manager, usually leads the way as well. Furthermore, I want to start a business and be my own boss because I want to serve as my own administrator. I know that this will not always be the case, because sometimes a company will hire another individual for the job. Therefore, when I have the title of business administrator, I’m essentially the manager of the company and its other managers. I oversee those in managerial positions to ensure that they will follow the company’s work and policies toward the company’s goals in the most efficient manner. An example of this will be my working with the managers of production, finance, accounting, human resources, and marketing departments to ensure that they function properly and work under control with the company’s objectives and goals. Furthermore, I might also interact with people outside the company, such as vendors and business partners.

Clearly, my parents’ example has had a big influence on me. Living in the Philippines with a big family was hard, and very challenging for my parents. Both my mom and my dad have a master’s degree in the same school, UST (University of Santo Thomas), where my parents met. My mom has a Master’s Degree in Culinary Arts and my dad has a Master’s Degree in Business Administration. After graduating from college, my dad and my mom both started working in the Korean Buffet at Green Hill SM Mall, where my mom was one of the chefs and my dad was a cashier. My parents worked very hard so that my siblings and I would have something to eat three times a day, and that we would be able to go to school. From working so hard, my dad and my mom were able to save up some money and start their own restaurant called Sarap-Pagkain, which means Delicious Foods.

In conclusion, I believe that my parents were my big inspiration, because they worked really hard and started from the bottom. Taking business administration is a dream job for me because I love the idea of being my own boss, making my own decisions, taking days off anytime, solving problems, making easy money and most especially being able to show my competitiveness and showcase my leadership as well. My plan in the future is to have my own Asian restaurant or Asian store, just like my parents, and show people, most especially my parents, that I can be as professional as them. I have learned that long term goals are best achieved when I break them into shorter goals. My short term goal is to find a job anywhere, as long as it is in the business industry. A job in that industry will help me to learn and grow even more, and will put me in a forward-moving company with solid performance and future projections. My long term goal is to have a restaurant of my own, so I can be able to help some of my less fortunate relatives to go to school and pursue their dreams. Finally, my goal is to become the very best leader and future employer so that I can both perform higher level duties as needed, as well as prepare myself for future advancement opportunities.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Im sorry but could you summarise that into a few lines plz?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good to me mate!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.