Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukelouise123)
    How strong are my chances in getting into oxford, if I got Top in the World for my A level Further Mathematics and A-Level Mathematics?
    Probably still low.

ReputationRep:
    How strong are my chances in getting into oxford, if I got Top in the World for my A level Further Mathematics and A-Level Mathematics?
    -124.66477%
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Is this a serious question?

ReputationRep:
    How come?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Oxbridge prefers UKMT or similar than a-levels.
    Make sure you meet the minimum offer (as many will do) but try to get into Olympiads e.g BMO or similar!

Think outside the box too in your interviews!

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    Also, Cambridge does think that a-levels specifically the Mathematics a-levels are rubbish.
    Trying to get 100% in a-level mathematics is easy but they don't want this student.
    They don't want "churners" or those who are rote-learners. This won't help you with an Oxbridge maths degree.

You should try to get an S or a 1 in STEP!
    Focus on STEP or the MAT (for Oxford).

If you perform highly on those, you're likely to get a place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    Make sure you meet the minimum offer (as many will do) but try to get into Olympiads e.g BMO or similar!

I got 3A*,1A,1C. And got a high Distinction on the Australian Mathematics Competition. And got best performer for physics and maths at my school. And was also best overall outstanding student which got me the minister's cup and gold medal award

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much garaunteed. As long as your GCSE are good and you didn't flunk your other subjects. Because Oxford and cambridge want people excellent at and passionate about there subjects. What spells out excellent and passionate better than getting top in the world in that exam lol!

ReputationRep:
    I got 3A*,1A,1C. And got a high Distinction on the Australian Mathematics Competition. And got best performer for physics and maths at my school. And was also best overall outstanding student which got me the minister's cup and gold medal award
    Why do you want Oxford for Maths instead of Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want Oxford for Maths instead of Cambridge?
    Oxford Physics. Not maths
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Is this a serious question?
    It's had serious answers....

ReputationRep:
    theres probably been many people rejected from Oxford with full UMS in maths and further maths, I know two personally.

So your best in the world marks are tied with hundreds of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Somtochi)
    Pretty much garaunteed. As long as your GCSE are good and you didn't flunk your other subjects. Because Oxford and cambridge want people excellent at and passionate about there subjects. What spells out excellent and passionate better than getting top in the world in that exam lol!
    LOL no your chances would still be low. Being top in the world doesn't mean you're suited for an Oxbridge course. How do they interview, how do they think, would they perform well in STEP etc.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozmo19)
    LOL no your chances would still be low. Being top in the world doesn't mean you're suited for an Oxbridge course. How do they interview, how do they think, would they perform well in STEP etc.....
    In my opinion someone getting the best in the world should have a problem with STEP or an interview where they ask him mathematical based questions and see how he thinks lol but you're right if they somehow don't preform then they probably wouldn't get in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Somtochi)
    In my opinion someone getting the best in the world should have a problem with STEP or an interview where they ask him mathematical based questions and see how he thinks lol but you're right if they somehow don't preform then they probably wouldn't get in!
    Saying something like your place is practically guaranteed, is very unrealistic. You can train for A-Level questions, learn how they can be answered, get full UMS and it not be that difficult - thats the whole point of the interviews, everyone has amazing UMS, they need to see people THINK to distinguish them, and being trained to solve an a-level problem is not that.

ReputationRep:

Oxbridge doesn't care particularly about maths competitions, largely because the level of support/encouragement offered by different schools is so varied that it's not a level playing field. But yes I do agree make sure to be predicted the minimum offer, and do expect to think outside the box at interview, and do what you can to train yourself in such ways, but that needn't be via maths competitions (indeed I would think it better if it wasn't).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Are these A-levels? So you are applying with A-level grades achieved?

Oxford Physics. Not maths
    The offer rate is about 17% for that course. Having excellent grades will certainly help you to be more competitive than "average". You then also need to do well in the PAT and the interview (if shortlisted).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    You should try to get an S or a 1 in STEP!
    Focus on STEP or the MAT (for Oxford).

If you perform highly on those, you're likely to get a place!
    It won't help them much considering they are applying for Physics.

It's best to establish the OPs course before giving specific advise like this.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.