Turn on thread page Beta

Mum making me her personal slave over midterm watch

So I’m 14 years old currently making my GCSE choices and over midterm my mum has made me her personal slave. Each day I had to do between 2 and 3 loads of washing, mop the kitchen, hall and both bathrooms, hoover the living room, stairs/landing, my bedroom, the storage room and her bedroom, cook dinner and do the pile of dirty dishes she leaves. And if it’s not done perfectly I get yelled at. The whole week I’ve had a sore throat and the cold and am exhausted but I still have to do all the housework. And now that midterm breaks over I’ve wasted my entire midterm as her slave. I feel embarrassed to go back to school and admit that I didn’t even get to relax at home over midterm. Am I over reacting or should I do something about this
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    'Personal slave' isnt that abit much to describe that?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry a fairy god mother will appear and turn a pumpkin into a carriage to take you to a ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I’m 14 years old currently making my GCSE choices and over midterm my mum has made me her personal slave. Each day I had to do between 2 and 3 loads of washing, mop the kitchen, hall and both bathrooms, hoover the living room, stairs/landing, my bedroom, the storage room and her bedroom, cook dinner and do the pile of dirty dishes she leaves. And if it’s not done perfectly I get yelled at. The whole week I’ve had a sore throat and the cold and am exhausted but I still have to do all the housework. And now that midterm breaks over I’ve wasted my entire midterm as her slave. I feel embarrassed to go back to school and admit that I didn’t even get to relax at home over midterm. Am I over reacting or should I do something about this
    Tell her how you feel and make an agreement with her. Like say you are willing to do 2 hours per day (i'm guessing that is better than normal).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
    'Personal slave' isnt that abit much to describe that?
    Eh... It's a bit strong, but not too far off imo. Doing your own sh*t (bedroom, your own clothes, ect...)? Fair enough. But when it isn't your own that's where lines start to be crossed, of course there are exceptions, but it certainly sounds like the OP's mum is abusing the situation and using the time so she can relax, rather than actually dividing it all up between them. There's doing your chores, and then there's just parents offloading everything onto their kids as if they're a slave.

Also, getting yelled at for not doing it perfectly? That's a bit iffy.

OP: assuming mum isn't dividing up the chores in a somewhat equal manor (going by what the OP said, I doubt that's happening), you should talk it out, if that does nothing I'd just ignore the yelling and make a half-assed job of some things just to push the point across and push her to a point at which she doens't want you to do something because you seemingly can't do it well. Cooking dinner, a great place to half ass it by under cooking or burning things (within reason obviously, don't burn your f*cking house down, and likewise, don't risk giving anyone food poisoning or w/e). The dishes? An "accidental" smash or two wouldn't go unnoticed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.